Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
canandaigua
A little over a month ago my husband experienced a tingling sensation in his left arm. For a few weeks after that he continued to have a tingling and numbing feeling in that same arm. He finally told me about it about 2 weeks ago. Since then he had a series a various symptoms: a feeling of weakness in the left arm, tingling and numbness in the left leg that has now led to muscle cramping and throbbing in that leg, pain in the base of his neck, jaw "tightness", twitching in his left arm and leg and left side of face, some shortness of breath as well as a feeling like it's hard for him to form words with his mouth (he sounds fine but feels like he has to work at it).

He saw a nurse practitioner when the problem was localized to the left arm. She ran some blood tests and checked BP (everything looked good). Last week he had an uncontrollable fit of laughter in the car (by himself) on his way home from work. He said that it was awful and it was as if he had no control. His PCP scheduled him an appt. w/the neuro. for 4/3. Yesterday he went to the ER (I made him) b/c he was having such a horrific day of muscle cramping in his leg (I thought it was a blood clot or something). He desc. his symptoms and the doc. and he wanted to prescribe an anti-anxiety drug. My husband is anything but an anxious or stressed out person (if it were me it'd be another story!)

Anyhow, by the time we got home he was doing better (still tingling) but better. When he came up to bed (our upstairs in colder that our downstairs) he began to shake like a leaf all over (almost seizure-like) for about 5-7 min. He felt as though his nervous syst. was going crazy.

I'm not looking for a diagnosed but I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts. Obviously, ALS is the worst thing that it could be and from being on the internet I know that some of his symptoms are consistent. My husband is 29. On a side note- I had never known very much about ALS prior to these circumstances and I just wanted to let you all know how amazing and courageous you all are as well as supportive of one another. I'm hopeful that my husbands problem is treatable but I am glad that I have learned so much about this awful disease so that I can keep all of you in prayer.

That sure doesn't sound like ALS to me . . . and I"m sure most on here would agree. There are too many sensory symptoms and it sounds as if it happened very suddenly . . . two things that would point away from ALS. He has his age going for him too, because ALS that young is rare. I hope that eases your fears . . . although there is definitely something going on with him that obviously needs to be addressed. Good luck to you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back