Wondering about symptoms...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you guys are saying, however I highly doubt two people's experiences with ALS are the same. There are symptoms in the beginning that people probably are aware of as people know their own bodies better than others. Why does it take so much devastating symptoms to know a person has it or not? I suppose it is too tough to actually diagnose people until that point in time where it is obvious. Why shoot everyone's concerns/anxieties down as if it doesn't matter? I am seeking help for my anxiety, but that doesn't mean that a person's concerns aren't valid. Again I am truly sorry that this is happening. Thanks!

You're right, no two persons symptoms are the same. However, in the case of ALS, symptoms, whether they start in limb or bulbar region, typically follow a consistent pattern. This pattern is detected through EMG, a person's clinical exam, and their symptomatic history. You have not a single one of these.

The fact that you appear to be chasing this disease is troubling. Please do bring this fact to your counselor, look into nosophobia disorder, and seek help to eliminate this irrational fear. This pandemic has everyone a little on edge right right now and one's thinking and imagination can run amok because of it. Please, remember who your audience is: people dying of this horrible disease. You asking the same questions again and again has officially moved into the territory of disrespectful. It's time to move on and let this go.

Please stay safe and good luck to you.

Writing equally to J and others out there -- we often see "I know my own body" comments. I completely get that you know better than I do when abnormal things are happening.

But that doesn't change the lack of relationship between those issues and ALS.

Nor does it change the fact that an abnormal thing or two can lead to crippling health anxiety that just piles on the perceived abnormalities, making the anxiety worse, etc.

That is why, once you can really address it, you will typically find that the symptoms recede, and you can focus on what is really left, that should be addressed, often with PT or self-care options.

So when we point out that you are anxious, we are not saying that because we are too busy to compare your symptoms with those of ALS. We are saying that comparison has already happened. It doesn't take long because we know the symptoms all too well.

Some past CIBALS posters, and hopefully you, have found it helpful to know that your anxiety is actually amplifying and adding to the symptoms, and that based on what you have told us, there is no chance that piling on symptoms or telling us they have become "worse" is going to change that opinion. There are patterns to symptoms, like how a tree grows or a baby learns to talk.

Best,
Laurie

I can't add the EMG as I don't have a printer that works. I have been having tongue fascics since yesterday, which I understand can be nothing or it could be something. I had an MRI of brain with contrast today without any significance. I am taking something now for anxiety, which I am unsure as it has been two days. I doubt that ALS can move all over this fast, or just all of a sudden be in my tongue. I felt it right away, checked my tongue and saw some rippling here and there. I am wondering what the heck is going on with me?! I have an appt with another Neurologist on Monday, same clinic. Thanks again for your time!

tongue twitching means nothing. I'm glad you have an appointment imminent - write down you concerns so you can be sure you raise them all at that appointment and make the most of the time with someone actually examining you. All the very best, please believe what the neurologist says.

You can screenshot the report if you have it on your computer or in the cloud.

Hello, are there early onset symptoms that a person should be aware of? I only know that when there is weakness, atrophy and failure of a limb is when it can be diagnosed. Why do the symptoms have to be so blatantly obvious? I’m only curious. Today’s neurologist appointment is on the phone. Thanks

You don’t have to go looking for ALS. If you have it, it finds you.

Failure is an early symptom - you don't feel any different, you simply have muscles failing.

When your neurologist tells you no ALS, believe him and move on from this site. Trying to satisfy a morbid curiosity about how ALS manifests itself is not helping your anxiety. Anxiety meds take about 3-4 weeks to work. Let them do their job and in the meantime, speak to a counselor.

Best of luck to you.

Jgill, if you have the EMG report on your computer you can just copy
the "Summary/Conclusion" at the bottom of the report.

As I have copied and pasted what you wrote above....

> "I can't add the EMG as I don't have a printer that works." Simple.

Igelb suggested something similar above but you didn't reply.

Of all you have written... the EMG Summary/Conclusion defines
your case.

Hello, I am still having tingling in right arm/hand, occasional numbness in right and left hand along with twitching in right arm mostly and I’m various spots in my body. I can see my thumb move when it is twitching. So, nobody has ever had tingling, numbness or twitching in any case of ALS? I can’t copy the results from my phone. I’m not around a computer at the moment.

twitching is utterly non specific. Re numbness and tingling those are among the things we get asked during the diagnosis process because they would point to another issue and are not ALS symptoms. what did the doctor say? You were supposed to have a televisit. And if your phone can’t screenshot the report you could type out the conclusion at the end and post until you can do the whole report

All phones today, and for the past decade, have the ability to screen shot something. If you have the report on your phone, you have the ability to screenshot the summary. Post the summary and be done with this game playing.

You spoke to your doctor on Monday, did you not? Why is it that you are not believing what your doctor days about you not having ALS? Is this site a sort of game for you? You dont have ALS, so with respect to the members here, it's best to move on since you refuse to share your EMG results to get feedback.

Good luck to you.

Hello, I’ve finally been able to take pics of it. I’ve noticed I am having trouble getting words out that are appropriate for conversation. I’m not sure the reason why. Why would I play with people with terminal illnesses?

Attachments

• 8123CFF9-E4EA-438D-A028-C025A6414E52.jpeg
    8123CFF9-E4EA-438D-A028-C025A6414E52.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 156
  • 197AED89-CC12-46EB-9F22-04058AB1C1F5.jpeg
    197AED89-CC12-46EB-9F22-04058AB1C1F5.jpeg
    7.2 MB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back