Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MN
City
Saint Paul
Hello, I have a few questions regarding some symptoms I have been having for 1.5 weeks. I have had tingling or pins and needles in my right and left hands along with right foot. There have been a few times where my right arm would just lay at the side of my body. I have had some strange symptoms of the right leg, which I have a hard time explaining. It feels like my muscles would be tight for three days, then go away and then come back. My leg would feel tired and heavy at times. I have nearly tripped a few times and have been dropping things often. I went to the ER scared it might be something serious, which they only ran blood tests and an EKG. Everything was normal. I have spoke with a Neurologist regarding, which he gave an order for an MRI of my cervical spine. I am wondering how likely it would be a nervous system disorder? Thanks for your insight!

Hi, have a read here:

It should reassure you that it's not ALS. You don't state anything that would fit into the pattern seen with possible ALS. Any other questions you may have about your concerns are best discussed with your doctor.

Hello, I have also been having some muscle twitches in my upper arm. Can ALS progress within 1.5 weeks or does it take time? Thanks again

No, that's not how it works. ALS is what we do here, and it's much rarer than the spine or other problem that is far more likely related to your symptoms. The neurologist may run other tests, but I would not worry about ALS. If no neurological problem is found, you might also ask about assessment for daytime sleepiness/a sleep study.

Best,
Laurie

Sorry to bother again. I have read that there can be some sensory symptoms with the beginning of ALS, is this true? And would an EMG catch anything if it was the beginning of ALS? Thanks again!

No, that is not true. You are not describing ALS in the slightest. Please, as requested, bring any further questions to your doctor. This is a forum for folks who have ALS or their caregivers, of which you are neither. That is a wonderful thing, so please be grateful.

Best of luck to you and stay safe.

Go back to the second post in this thread if you come back to ask questions again. Read that link through very carefully. It was developed by a bunch of people suffering paralysis, many of them breathing with machines. It was created with great thought and care to answer all these kinds of questions so that paralysed people wouldn't have to say the same things over and over.
So read it again with your new question in mind, and then when you find it is answered there, take that as our official answer.

Hopefully you don't come back, but go and start living the wonderful life you do actually have. All the best.

I have heard of people having initial sensory symptoms such as tingling and numbness. I have taken care of patients on vents where this happened. I am wondering why? Thanks again!

If someone is on a vent for ALS they are clearly not in the initial stage. Not remotely.

ALS is a disease of motor nerves. Sensory symptoms in ALS are usually either the result of another coexisting condition or caused by immobility and malpositioning as the disease progresses. Occasionally the sensory nerves can be affected later on but again not an onset issue.

we are not going to argue about things you read / heard elsewhere. You did not describe anything that our collective experience recognizes as ALS. Believe us or not, completely your right but don’t argue with terminally ill people and their loved ones

Hello- please re-read the link provided- where it addresses such questions. If you have further questions about your own symptoms, which the folk here don't think follow the symptom pattern of ALS, you must speak with your doctor. This forum exists to support those diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers and can not be used as an alternate to proper medical care.

Would an EMG detect early onset of ALS? Or does a person need to be further along? Sorry to keep asking questions. I won't ask again after this. I am just noticing more weakness in my right arm and leg compared to the other side.

if your symptoms are lower motor neuron caused the damage should be detectable by emg even before a person notices symptoms
ALS is a disease of lower motor neurons and upper motor neurons. Upper motor neuron damage is detected by a doctor on clinical exam.

again you have not described symptoms of motor neuron disease. Please work with your doctor.

You are not describing ALS in the slightest. Asking the same questions over and over again is not fair to dying members, is it? Respect for forum members is much appreciated. Please, as requested, bring any further questions to your doctor. This is a forum for folks who have ALS or their caregivers, of which you are neither. That is a wonderful thing, so please be grateful.

Best of luck to you and stay safe.

I had an EMG of right hand/arm and leg. I am wondering if it was too soon to have it done. Can an EMG be done too soon? Is it better to wait until symptoms are worse? I have also read that PLS can't be found on an EMG. Is this true? Thanks

I answered your too soon question already. It is also in the post you were told to read. PLS is umn which is found on clinical exam you do not have PLS symptoms or ALS symptoms. Time to look elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back