Women with Motor Neuron Diseases

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean by spasm and cramps Thats not it. this is extreme pain if I reach over .the pain is in the forearm Thank god it passes after a minute or so Or I would need morphine for the pain Pat

Pat

Nope, I don't have that Pat. It sounds excruciating. At least it passes although it's not any consolation.

Kate, About monthly cycles. I'm past that now. I DID notice that I would get VERY fatigued, achy, hoarse and almost flu like a day or two before. I do get hoarse when I get over tired but that achy flu like stuff before my monthly cycle? Not any more.

I thought ALS didn't affect the eyes! How does it start? With spasms of the eyelids or what happens?

This is a great surprise to me.

Kewanee

Eyes

Kewanee,

MND's do not affect the eyes with their ability to see is my understanding. It hasn't affected my eyes at all.

Were you referring to the eye lids drooping? THat's only if the eye lid starts to droop over the eye. I Know several people who have had surgery on their eye lids paid for by insurance because the lid was pushing their eye lashes down over their eyes impairing their ability to see. NONE had MND's and it had nothing to do with their eye sight per say.

Would another one of the ladies with more knowledge about this give some insight?

Thanks for the muffin recipe, Frizzel. I'm looking forward to trying it. Carol

Thank you Frizzel.
Sound like what MG does. Eyelids droop.
Didn't know about this before. So does it start with spasms do you know anybody?
Kewanee

Eye lids drooping

No Kewanne, I have never known anyone with a Motor Neuron Disease who had droopy eye lids or spasming in the eye lid BECAUSE of the disease. Jaw and neck yes, eye lids, no. Maybe one of the other women will share what they know.

You're right MG does cause drooping of the eye lid.

I try to not dwell on what's happening in my body unless it impeads my ability to do something. I can see very well and for that....I am grateful.

I agree sounds like MG

Frizzel-I have noticed the mucles freezing up thing-it is one reason why it takes me a long time to get upstairs. I have to wait for the muscles to kick into gear.

Pat- when did the pain start? Did it come on suddenly? I wonder if your GP shouldn't do an x-ray? I am thinking that with muscle loss, our bones become more fragile since it takes muscles to move the blood and nurtients into the bone. Maybe you have a small fracture going on there? Just a thought, Cindy

The pain only happens if I straight it sideways it feel like maybe the muscle that is dying is reation to quick movement I really dont Know.Its so painful and it comes on like gang buster Pat

Forearm Pain

Are you working with a Physical Therapist PAt? If not, I would suggest talking with your doctor about this and possibly get started with one. I have a PT that does pressure point therapy.

Is that something you could do before with no pain? Has it just started? Is this a new problem? Is any other part of your body having the same pain when moved?

Personally, I'd get in touch with what is happening with your body and start a new symptoms area on your computer and save it so when you visit or make an appointment with your doctor you have these things written down. When they occur, how often, pain intensity, on going symptoms that is consistent or intermittent. THen copy it before you go to your appointment. If it continues, you may want to see your doctor.

All the best! Take care of yourself Pat.

This is something new I was doing Pt three x a week range of motion and I stopped bcause I wasnt really getting more range of my arms. Now I am going to have a PT OT come to the house. I have this pain about a monh If I dont reach I am fine no pain Its very strange Pat

Definitely tell OT and PT

That's awesome you can have someone come to your home Pat.
I tell my OT and PT everything and I'm amazed at how they can localize working on a particular area. Let's hope you get some relief for your mind AND your body.

You haven't been swinging from one of those rope swings into the lake have you Pat? I just had a funny visual. I KNOW I KNOW it's not funny but my imagination is. Take care of yourself and keep me posted.

Frizzel.

Very funny I stopped doing that years ago LOLPAT:-D

Tattoos

Hi Rhonda,

Well did you take the plunge yet? I am actually thinking of getting my lips done with a natural color and tint to it. Another friend did and she looks GREAT! Another friend just had a wrist one that is vines with her initial. She's 73 and her name is Sugar. She is ADOREABLE!

SOOOOOOOO it's never too late ladies! :-D

We've had a ton of company. Our home is such a peaceful place. Our kids are grown. All our company pitches in an helps so I'm not burdened by working and trying to keep up meals and cleaning.

How's everyone's summer going? Any good reading or concerts or plants growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back