AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience and to help support our community please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

Woke Up - Air Hunger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripete

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
This morning after getting up I felt very anxious and very quick shallow breathing. I was crying over nothing. I eventualy contacted my Hospice nurse and she first had me take adrovin (which did nothing) and now morphine, The panicy air hunger is gone but the breathing is still vry difficult. My head is spinning from morphine and it makes me tired but it is better than the panicing emotional roller coaster

Just thought i would share the experience

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
home
Sending you a hug Pete, what a horrid monster this disease is. You may find regular morphine can be taken at lower doses that make your head spin. Will hospice come and talk with you about possibly getting a low dose regime going?

tripete

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
Tillie hospice should be here with in the hour. Another note before the morphine i could not use my trilogy, it made me feel more panicky and like i might vomit. After morphine I was able to use it and fall asleep.

If I am coming near the end maybe this will help others understand what the air hunger feels like.

MToole

Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
IL
Thanks for sharing your experience

soonerwife

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
So sorry Pete! Air hunger is the worst in my opinion...

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
Oregon
Pete, that sounds really scary. I’m so glad hospice was able to help you to feel more comfortable.
Sending you good thoughts....

KimT

Forum Supporter
Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
Pete, When I first started Oxy, I got very dizzy. I cut back the dose and titrated a bit and felt comfortable. Mine was for horrible pain but you can reduce side effects. I also itched but that went away.

I second what Tillie said and see if you can get a regular dose going that prevents rather than fixes this issue.

I'm sorry you are going through all this, Pete. You're in my prayers.

Narrowminded

Very helpful member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
PA
Hi Pete, I hope the nurse has been there and helped you figure out a way to keep that from happening and also keep your head from spinning.

Hugs to you,

Sue

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
home
I hope the hospice nurse has helped Pete.

Truly small frequent doses will work better and give less side effects. If you have to get over panic from air hunger that has already set in, it takes a higher dose, and you will feel the side effects more. A low regular dose now can keep you at a more comfortable level and then it is easy so gently titrate that dose up as needed without you having to reach a full state of anxiety or panic.

More hugs mate, right behind you xxx

tripete

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
The nurse is recommending the lowest dose of morphene every 4-6 hours. my breathing is very shallow but the morphine is keeping the hunger, anxiety, and emotions at bay. I am very sleepy, i am trying to eat to keep up strength even though i do not want to.

tripete

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
my wife is visibly worried. i am trying hard to comfort her.

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
Oregon
Awww. You’re such an amazing partner. As the Morphine comforts you, hopefully this will also comfort your wife.

Angiegal

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
CA
State
Ontario
Thank you Pete!

Angie

wishmobbing

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
DE
State
Germany
Pete, thank you for always being so honest in this forum. You wear your wounds like flowers. Stay brave, stay strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock