Diagnosis
01/2020
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Tonight begins the Jewish New Year, so for all those who celebrate, I wish you a Shana Tova! And for those who don't, I send you sweet wishes too. It’s been a tough year for many of us, so may the coming year be a better one for everyone. May we all experience plateaus in our physical condition, and serenity in our mental condition.

The following is a New Year’s greeting that is given at our synagogue, but I think you will find it enjoyable to read even if you worship differently, or don’t worship at all! It’s not preachy. It was written by Rabbi Jacob Pressman, of blessed memory, who led our congregation for many years and was a prolific writer and teacher. . .

“In the new year, may you discover that your home is built on solid rock able to withstand hurricanes, floods, mudslides, earthquakes, wildfires, escalating insurance rates and repossession.

May it be free of mold, mildew and mice, and safe from termites, rug mites, mosquito bites and family fights.

If you have trouble hearing, may you give in and get a hearing aid. If you have trouble seeing, may you get respectable spectacles. If you cannot drive, may you cultivate friends who do. If you cannot chew, may you acquire designer dentures. If you cannot smell, may you take frequent showers.

May your cardiologist hear no murmur, your dentist see no cavity, your dermatologist see no melanoma, your ophthalmologist see no cataract, and your proctologist tell you, “It looks beautiful.”

May your computer never freeze, your automobile never overheat, your garbage disposal never clog, your refrigerator never melt down, your pipes never spring a leak, your air conditioner never quit even on the hottest day of the year, and your neighbor’s gardener’s roaring leaf-blower break down.

May you be able to decipher your electric, telephone, department store and credit card bills, your income tax forms, Medicare medicine plans and the extra-fine print at the bottom of everything stating they didn’t mean what is written at the top of the contract.

May you solve the mystery of getting from here to there despite coagulated traffic, and may you do so without having to declare bankruptcy at the gasoline pump.

May your children take a liking to you, and your grandchildren call you even when they don’t want money, and your great-grandchildren teach you how to use your computer.

May all 7 billion people everywhere in the world learn to love the people everywhere else in the world so that we can survive the 21st century without blowing up the world.

And should you ever feel alone and unloved, may you know that you are never alone, for God is with you, in you, and loves you, and so do I.

Eric, Wishing you and your family a Happy Rosh Hashanah. May your year be filled with blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back