Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
ga
City
North East
The bidet thread made my think of things I might wish I had or did when remodling.
It said you need an outlet with in 3 ft of the toilet I don't have one on that side of the room at all but I haven't redone that room so I can keep that in mind.

We think of the main stuff ramp and lifts, doorway size and lever handles, vanity height.

What are other things you can think off that you are GLAD I DID or WISH YOU HAD? This can be for any room.

This is a 'Glad we didn't buy':
My husband is quite tall and has always preferred bathing to showering so we borrowed an Aquatec bath seat (hydraulic operation rather than electric) that lowers you down into the water.

He finds that it does not give him enough room to stretch out and requires a huge amount of water in order to cover you in the bath tub. So he feels it's not like having a bath. At present he is just using it as a shower seat.

We have on order (under a Canadian program) a Track Lift that will allow him to be lowered into the water--and permit other transfers. Apparently some of the new houses have laminated joists and these will not support the kind of stress (suspension rather than compression) a Track Lift will put upon them. Fortunately we have an older house. I hope the track lift will be classified as 'Glad we did'.

Re: the plug-in required for the bidet, we just drilled a hole in the wall to access the plug in the next room. The holes were covered with a plastic ring and it looks quite neat.
Also in regard to the bidet you have to make sure it will fit your toilet. Some of the newer one piece toilets and those with a curve at the back where the tank sits will not accommodate the Jasmine Washlet.

Thanks landscape that is a good idea. With the reasons why. Some of the ads do not apply to all disablities and size people. I know I will be dealing with size his 6' 3".

One thing I wish we had done when we did the bathroom was put in a floor drain in the center of the floor. We put in a roll in shower but never thought of having one in the main part of the bathroom. When it comes time that I need to be rolled in for a shower it would be better to roll out to dry off and a drain makes clean up easier. It would have been about $10 more for pipe. Didn't think of it at the time.
AL.

I hope the following will be 'Glad I did':
I have ordered shades for a south-facing window that are operated by remote control. When the sun is low on the horizon we need to block it at certain times of day--and it's a moving target!

Wish I had . . .

known about this bathroom sink before. It's adavantages:
1. Shallow for ease of use
2. Rear drain so the piping below is tucked out of the way of legs.
3. Bowl projects slightly from the edge of the vanity giving excellent access.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...module=Commercial+Lavatories&frm=#recommended
KOHLER: K-2098-1: Invitation™ self-rimming lavatory: Sinks: Bathroom

Here is a link to a picture of it in situ: (scroll more than halfway down the page)
http://bob.heitzman.us/HomeProject01/Bath/_BathPage.htm#Roll-Under_Sink

Oh I like remote-control stuff, landscape. And I like timers. Stuff goes on and off all the time in my house automatically. Comes from being basically lazy I suppose. But now that I need to conserve energy I am glad I have all those timers! Cindy

We are starting with our bathroom. I would welcome any suggestions. Al I told my husband about your suggestion of a drain outside the shower and he says Thank You,
because he had not thought about that. So if anyone has something to share that might help, please share it with me. Thanks, Rhonda

Hi Rhonda

My husband is just finishing a wheel chair accessible bathroom for me.

We went to pedestal sinks with back splashes, a wheel chair accessible shower insert purchased through "All in One Mobility' out of Portland Oregon. Because my legs and feet are very cold sensitive we chose linoleum over tile on the floor. Also installed water proof recessed lights above the shower since I balance better in light. Put hand rails up the height I need them while I stood and he measured. A couple horizontal and a couple verticle.

Just a few thoughts.

All the best with your remodel.

Frizzel

PS bathroom hand rails from Frizzel

My husband installed a couple hand rails for me while I was sitting and a couple while I was standing. No I wasn't sitting on the floor. ha~ gotta have a little humor with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back