Diagnosis
01/0000
Country
US
State
VA
City
Waynesboro
First off, I want to thank everyone who reads and responds to this thread. I truly appreciate your time and support.

My wife has been going through some difficulties lately with her feet. 3 weeks ago, she felt her right foot start to drop. Her foot dropped and she also has what she describes as numbness in her shin down up to her foot (in both legs). She has feeling in her foot can wiggle her toes, and move foot side to side, but she has a dropped foot and cant pull her toes back towards her.

She had an appointment with her PCP last week and then saw a neurologist this week. He did a physical exam and took blood from her. They have scheduled an EMG for the end of the month, also.

In the last 24 hours her left foot has now started the same process. As of this evening she is starting to have a gait similar to a dropped foot. She is not able to pull her toes towards her on the fat now, while she was able to 24 hours ago.

She can stand on her toes but she can not stand her heels, no matter how much she tries.

Any insight on her symptoms and ALS is appreciated. She is contacting her neurologist tomorrow to tell him about the left foot now.

Again, thank you for your time and input.

Dropped foot is worrisome, but not specific for ALS. The numbness points away from ALS. The time course of how it spread from one foot to the other is also a little fast for ALS. There are numerous other more common conditions that can cause drop foot. Hopefully the neurologist will direct an evaluation looking for a broad spectrum of conditions. He will likely order an MRI of the lower back as well as blood and urine tests. He may also recommend use of ankle-foot-orthotics to prevent falling.

Thank you for your response. Greatly appreciated.

No worries.
Many things in her history are against ALS , Sensory symptoms, time of progression.

It sounds like GBS or CIDP , spinal issues or many others could cause this.

ALS is very very unlikely .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back