wierd symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crystal

The more I hear of your story, the more convinced I am that you have some type of peripheral neuropathy. I'm very hopeful that you get some answers with your next EMG. Remember however, that small fiber peripheral neuropathy is difficult for an EMG to detect.

April

With ALS, weakness will precede atrophy. Denervation to the muscle fibers will cause immediate weakness in those muscle fibers. It is typically a slow and insidious process, to the point of not really noticing it initially. Muscle atrophy takes a little longer after denervation . . . but as the process continues: denervation then weakness then atrophy, it will be a slow decline with all three occuring at once.

If you have ALS atrophy, you will have weakness. It is as simple as that. So many come on the forum and say they think they have atrophy but don't say a thing about weakness in those muscles. Those people simply do not have ALS. The disease is certainly variable in how it presents and progresses, but all PALS have: denervation . . . weakness . . . atrophy. Those are things that define ALS.

The above holds true for PMA, too. PLS is a different story.

Wright,

I hope your right but usually with nueropathy you have reduced reflexes. I have atrophy and weakness
also so I no its not just small fiber. The thing that is scaring me is this is affecting my whole body now.
But the proximal atrophy and weakness seems to be equal on both sides.

april/wright.

firstly,if a reply like this shows up sorry. i pressed submit but it did not post it.
april,i agree with wright that weakness would show before atrophy.
i have loss of contraction in my left lower leg that has very slowly got worse and is slightly thinner than my right lower leg.
it gets tired and i have to drag it along sometimes,also it swings back a bit.
my left foot/ankle which has the atrophy felt weaker before it showed up and has got worse.
i have to wear a support bandage till i go to see someone in orthostosis(think thats it).

wright, i hope i have never p..... you off when we have had a debate.
i respect you too much to do that,you are valuable to the forum with your knowledge.
take good care.
caroline:-D

HI guys,

well I have weakness, I just dont know what is "als" weakness. MY hands and feet ache all the time when I am using them or in the morning. MY 6 yr old is real strong and I have him sqeeze my hands and feet as hard as he can and it makes them feel better. It sounds wierd, and my husband gets bugged but the boys think it is a whose strong game and the truth is I have them do it because it make my aching hands/forearms feel better! I am sure I had some level of weakness before the atrophy and it was hidden becauase my pregnancy. I was working out 4x week in the first 5 months of it and then BAM I felt like cement and I thought it was the pregnancy. I think it was the start of all this as things have not got better and are getting worse. I was weak, like one time I was looking for my keys in my purse and my hand felt like it had been worked out for 2 hrs and I thought that was strange and now those feelings are all the time. The thinning inbetween my finger and thumb is undeniable. I really feel in my heart that I have this or some sort of pma. I appreciate the "its not likley, maybe something else", but I kinda feel it deep down. I told my neuro and husband I would give it the summer and see what happens. It has gotten worse, that was what happen. I felt better in may then I do now.

Sorry crystal, I hijacked your thread and I am whining about myself, very selfish.
when is your appt?

take care all,

april

April,

Aug 30th I am getting an EMG, I think you said you go back on the 27th.

more weird symptoms

Hi all,

I just wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced these symtoms.

1) I am getting a vibrating feeling in my nose, the same feeling that I usually get in my feet.

2) I will get this very brief feeling of heat radiating from my foot or lower leg , it is just a very small spot at a time.

My nose twitches a lot.. not at the end like a rabbit but on either side of the bridge of the nose.....my speach therapist said she had not heard ot that before.....ALSO
looking back to my first symptoms...which I thought had started in Jan 08 with slurred speach and squirting liquids when eating and drinking sometimes...when I now look back I started to get cramps in my legs when waking and stretching first thing in the morning at least a year before...but ALSO ...has anyone had this....really excessive yawning, which happened around the same time as the cramping first started way back. The yawning is still as violent and frequent, and now it has split my lips at both sides of my mouth...this is one question for the neuro next month....(DX bulbar onset mar08) jennifer51

My nose twitches a lot.. not at the end like a rabbit but on either side of the bridge of the nose.....my speach therapist said she had not heard ot that before.....ALSO
looking back to my first symptoms...which I thought had started in Jan 08 with slurred speach and squirting liquids when eating and drinking sometimes...when I now look back I started to get cramps in my legs when waking and stretching first thing in the morning at least a year before...but ALSO ...has anyone had this....really excessive yawning, which happened around the same time as the cramping first started way back. The yawning is still as violent and frequent, and now it has split my lips at both sides of my mouth...this is one question for the neuro next month....(DX bulbar onset mar08) jennifer51

Either side of my nose twitches sometimes, but not very often. I read somewhere that this is a common site for those that get benign fasciculations. ~ who knew? ~ I doubt that yours or mine are benign though. .... I cramp when I stretch in the morning, and at other "inconvenient" times 8) ("ouch ouch, wait! I've got a cramp! LOL) ... I used to yawn more, but I also used to be perpetually jet lagged ... I've read on this forum that the yawn thing is pretty common, the CALS call it the "ALS Yawn"

Either side of my nose twitches sometimes, but not very often. I've read on this forum that the yawn thing is pretty common, the CALS call it the "ALS Yawn"

Didn't know about the ALS yawn, but I've had "extreme yawning" for years ... when I start to relax, (getting sleepy, starting a yoga session, going under hypnosis) I get uncontrollable bouts of huge yawning ... I'm afraid sometimes that my jaw is going to lock with my mouth wide open! Only lasts until I reach a deeper state of relaxation, then I'm OK. It happens when I get on a treadmill, too. When I did cardiac rehab, I'd start the yawns about 5 minutes into a session, and soon the whole roomful of people would be jogging and yawning along with me.

Also, get strange twitches on the right side of my nose, but not very often. It's not a twitch, actually ... it's just one muscle that pulls up and holds on. Lasts long enough for me to run and check it out in a mirror, and it's hilarious. Looks like one side of my face is trying to sneeze, and the other isn't.

Also been getting long bouts of hiccups, which are new to me. They happen sometimes after eating, sometimes not. Somebody on the forum mentioned this in the past.

My theory is that these odd, funny little things are designed to take our minds off the really scary big stuff going on underneath! Mother Nature is trying to amuse and distract us.

BethU
(Read any good books lately, Rose? :))

Didn't know about the ALS yawn, but I've had "extreme yawning" for years ... when I start to relax, (getting sleepy, starting a yoga session, going under hypnosis) I get uncontrollable bouts of huge yawning ... I'm afraid sometimes that my jaw is going to lock with my mouth wide open! Only lasts until I reach a deeper state of relaxation, then I'm OK. It happens when I get on a treadmill, too. When I did cardiac rehab, I'd start the yawns about 5 minutes into a session, and soon the whole roomful of people would be jogging and yawning along with me.

Also, get strange twitches on the right side of my nose, but not very often. It's not a twitch, actually ... it's just one muscle that pulls up and holds on. Lasts long enough for me to run and check it out in a mirror, and it's hilarious. Looks like one side of my face is trying to sneeze, and the other isn't.

Also been getting long bouts of hiccups, which are new to me. They happen sometimes after eating, sometimes not. Somebody on the forum mentioned this in the past.

My theory is that these odd, funny little things are designed to take our minds off the really scary big stuff going on underneath! Mother Nature is trying to amuse and distract us.

BethU
(Read any good books lately, Rose? :))

Beth, I can always count on you having something to say that is entertaining and usually will make us smile. (In my minds eye I can see the cardiac lab with the patients and their watchers all yawning.) Thank goodness the hiccups aren't catchy! :cool: I hope your hubby knows what a dear you are! ... about the books, we got a big shopping bag full when we went into the city the other day :) I'm trying to finish The Great Derangement by Matt Taibbi first before I start into a new one. That guy can write! I don't necessarily agree with him, but he's readable and makes one think "beyond"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back