00/0000
Country
UK
State
NI
City
Belfast
Hi folks.

I’m 30 YO, male, consider myself to be fairly fit, but I have suffered from anxiety/depression/OCD for over 10 years and am currently on meds to help that.

That said, I know what I’m about to describe may rightly lead people to assume my mental health is the reason behind my symptom. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

I’m currently waiting to see a neurologist after being referred by my GP. I went to see him after having the following symptoms going on for about two months:

- widespread fasciculations. Usually in thighs or calves, sometimes in torso, back, tongue (I think?!), hands and arms. These aren’t constant and are usually just one ‘pop’ then stop. Sometimes they pop every few seconds for about 5 or so minutes, then stop. I seem to notice a twitch somewhere pretty much every few minutes.

- lower right eyelid twitching persistently. This is every second of every day for the last few months.

- I seem to be more clumsy than usual. Dropping things, kicking in to things, knocking things over, fumbling things. Having said that, I have no trouble buttoning a shirt. I do a lot of wood turning and have felt no difference there. I was fine in the basic strength test carried out by my GP. When push comes to shove, I can’t NOT do anything, but when at rest, my muscles feel shaky and weak.

- The GP noticed all my reflexes were brisk, but didn’t seem too concerned about that?

- I constantly feel an odd sensation like my chin/jaw/lip are weak and shaky, like a cant talk like I used to. I can swallow fine, but when I close my mouth around a bottle top, for instance, my cheeks and mouth feel weak?

Hopefully my neurology exams will come back ok, but can’t help but worry that the fasciculations in particular, are heralding in something more sinister. I’ve read all the stickies numerous times, but I’ve still read forums where folks with MND felt widespread fasciculations as a primary symptom before they noticed any weakness.

Thank you all for any advice you can give

I’m glad you read the sticky.

Fasciculations are almost never the presenting symptom of ALS. People with fasciculations who are eventually diagnosed with ALS usually have weakness or spasticity noted by the examining physician.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless. Up to 70% of people twitch. Anxiety makes it worse.

The hallmark of ALS is muscle function failure, and by far and away this is how ALS usually presents. The fact you can still do everything is very reassuring. Brisk reflexes can be a normal variant, so I wouldn’t lose sleep over that.

Your post does not suggest ALS. I’m sure the neurologist will agree.

Karen said it all. Two more thoughts: (1) Wood turning is a repetitive motion and you might need to do more full-body stretching, swimming, tai chi, etc. and (2) Psychoactive drugs, even if you've been on the same regimen for a while, can lead to pops, twitches and funny turns. It might be time to re-evaluate what you are taking.

The good news -- we will not see any reason for ALS concern.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you both for taking the time to reply with advice - much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back