Why is this Forum Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure it was 6 vz? It could have been 5 or maybe even 7?

It was six..or maybe four:)

Gee... ALS is getting even rarer as this goes along.

UofK Med Cntr only sees PALS on Mondays. ALS Clinic in West Plains, MO (new) only sees PALS one day a month. Still think total PALS average about 35,000 with 5,000 new and 5,000 gone each year

Just a note... from the CDC (Center for Disease Control - USA.gov) "Because no records on ALS have been kept throughout the country, it is hard to estimate the number of ALS cases in the United States. CDC does not require doctors to report ALS cases." The ALS Registry is not mandatory. Sending or referring a patient to an ALS clinic by the patients doctor is also not required. So, all numbers are guestimates

Last edited:
vz, glad it was 6. Now the question remains...6 what? Out of how many? Where? Oh yes, just saw the title...wonder if that has anything at all to do with the number 6. Anyone remember?

While we are on "stats" and some rather bad assumptions -

The frequency in the population isn't a factor of the number of clinics nor is it related to the distribution of cases. Michigan, for some reason, seems to have more than its share but no one knows for sure. Clinics usually spring up in major teaching institutions or in more regional health centers because of 1. staff expertise or interest and 2. drawing patients or catching them up in a wider net. Supply and demand works in health care too.

Also some might want to re-think their math. The projection of 100,000 cases based on some sort of "per day/per month/per year" appointment schedule is flawed. You have tossed out routine monitoring visits 4+ a year usually . perhaps more as death approaches . and that cuts your 100k down to 25,000 which is the better guess.

Medismart, Golly, if you read my post below that you'll see I admitted I was wrong. I gave credit to Elaine for thinking it out more than I did. (And a lot of folks have had fun with it since.) Both are something you don't see much of on this Forum. Maybe, in a few years when they raise that "5,000" number somebody might remember and say, "Gee... he was right!" For now, I was wrong. I didn't think it out. ALS is very rare. PLS is even rarer. As this Forum Post goes along it will get even rarer. Did I forget something? Dang! (PS I'm sorry to see that you have been diagnosed with ALS just recently.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back