"Why has this happened to me son?" My response. It can help you or your loved one

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspirits8

Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
CA
City
Palmdale
"Why has this happened to me son?" My response. It can help you or your loved one

*******LOOK I'M NOT TRYING TO PREACH RELIGION ON YOU. I AM THE LAST PERSON TO BE RELIGIOUS, BUT THIS IS THE ONLY EXPLANATION I HAVE TO WHY ANYBODY IS TESTED WITH A TERMINAL DISEASE AND THE LIKE***********

Hello everyone, let me start off by introducing myself and giving a little bit of background info on my situation and relation to ALS. I am a male 20 year old college sophomore, my mother has been diagnosed with ALS this last weekend. The diagnosis itself was just a confirmation of all the symptoms and capabilities I have seen diminish. Last August my mother was 100% functional and seemed to be healthy. The last 6 months have been an emotional roller coaster for myself and family. My mother has lost the ability to walk and struggles to talk, as if she were out of breathe. I have taken the primary role of caretaker for her and my younger siblings. My mother is a kind and loving mother, better yet a person as a whole. Which has led me to ask why this disease has chosen my mother, I found an answer to why yesterday. The answer was deep inside my memories of my younger Catholic school teachings.

I had for sometime lost my connection with religion as a whole, but please read my response I told my mother. As my mother struggled to mumble the question, "Why has this happened to me son?", a burst of emotional strength pumped through my heart. I began to tell her about the Bible's teachings (also many other religions share this view), that God puts forth great obstacles to only the best of people. The ones who have helped others before themselves and kept closest to the ways of the righteous. People around this tested person are aware of the good faith inside of this person. The test itself is not easy, faith and principles will be tested. This person's friends and loved ones will see this battle first hand. When a person of great faith, principle, spirit and valor is put in front of a great battle, there can only be two outcomes. The first is their faith and love brought to them by themselves & others helps them become conquer the test. The second is faith and the love will still fill their mind, body & soul, even as what appears to be a defeat in the physical world. Though this second outcome is in itself a success, due to the faith and strength this person shows even in the end of this test. Showing others that faith in good, will not only lift the tested person's spirit but also enlighten the minds of their loved ones. Enlightenment which others can only feel due to the strong spiritual conquest experienced by the tested.

I will be here until the end, no matter how long it will be. STILL THE PART I CANNOT ACCEPT, IS THAT SOONER OR LATER SHE WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO MOVE AND TALK. I KNOW SHE WILL BEGIN REEL IN SAD THOUGHTS, AND WILL FEEL HELPLESS DUE TO NOT TALKING. THAT MY FRIENDS STRIKES A CHORD. Thank you for your time. Hope all your loved ones with this disease always keep strong faith, it does not have to be in religion. Just make sure they have faith in a brighter future at least.

Re: "Why has this happened to me son?" My response. It can help you or your loved one

May God bless and comfort you. You're a wonderful son. As time goes on, find help. You need to take care of you too. Stay healthy mentally, spiritually and physically. Come here whenever you want to talk or have any questions. Does your mom have some good Doctors? Have you contacted your local ALSA yet? They can be very helpful. Let us know how we can help. You are not in this alone.
Big Hugs

Last edited:
Re: "Why has this happened to me son?" My response. It can help you or your loved one

Beautiful...and thank you for sharing. I am definately struggling internally with my faith, but this post has helped me already...and I can only imagine what it will do for me and others when they read it and reflect on it more and more.

"God puts forth great obstacles to only the best of people." This will be my new motto for when my head is in the sand...thank you again.

Kel

my son n myself were very involve in our church until everything went wrong. divorce n ALS. my son lost faith but mine gr ew stronger

You are indeed a mature, devoted, and loving young man. Your mother has done a great job raising you! This diagnosis is so scary and overwhelming to both you and your mom; start right away finding local resources and getting some help. God bless you.

What a dear soul and loving son you must be...You are handling this with more grace than people twice your age. Good luck to you, son.

Wow, I think God sent an angel to your mother....YOU !
God bless you and your family in this terrible journey, keep the faith, keep positive and that will help your mom more than you could imagine. I'm sorry that you should have to deal with your mom having such a terrible disease as you are so young. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Hang in there! Seek the ALS Association. They are wonderful.
Seek counseling by seeing your priest.
Anti-Depressants are the only way I can continue and remain consistently positive, balanced emotionally. My husband and I both are taking them.
They don't change your personality, but take the edge off.
If she is a Veteran there are huge benefits to support you through this horrible disease.
ALS is a monster!
It will test your faith, beliefs, understanding, and sanity!
You are in my prayers.
God Bless!

Highspirits8, welcome to the gang. I'm so glad you are there for your mom.
On your worry about what it will be like if your mom can no longer express herself through speech, hang in there. Grace, or gift from God, doesn't come a moment before its needed. But come it does, as it has in coming to grips with your moms diagnosis.

You are a blessing to your Mom and others! Thank you for sharing!

Wow. Thanks for sharing. She has done a wonderful job raising you.
The ALS shouild have a local chapter in your area. They can provide so much help. Most have loan closets where they give you equipment to use for as long as you may need it.
I have lost my speech. It was very frustrating at first. My ALS chapter has helped me with all kinds of info and support. When I needed a walker, they brought one to my house. When I needed a way to communicate they came out and brought me equipment.
I post on several forums which also helps me by communicating with others.

You have blessed me today with your post. Keep hangin' in there

Your Mom is so lucky to have you!

There are communication devices available to assist your Mom. Check out some of the past threads here on the forum to find out about them.

Welcome o our forum family. Bless you! You are an inspiration Lost my ability to speak a year ago. First I wrote notes on paper. Now I use an I pad to write with my finger. Yes it's frustrating at time but I still can communicate. I'm tying with one finger now to write this post. I have two sons a few years older then you. I know I am blessed and I'm not this journey alone.

I just found your post and wanted to say that I am keeping you and your mom in my prayers. I was 21 when I took on the role of full-time caregiver for my mom, who had ALS. She went home to heaven today actually, after a 4 year fight with ALS, and I can promise you that although there will be times when you will feel so overwhelmed, run-down, tired, and ready to quit that it almost overwhelms you, you will not regret making the choice to care for your mom.

When you are standing were I am standing today, looking back on your journey with her through ALS, you will be so proud and so thankful for every moment with her and so aware of how much stronger they have made you as a person. That being said, please make sure to take advantage of the resources that can be of help to you. Sometimes it is easy (and this is definitely me speaking from experiences) to get so bogged down in the day to day care that you forget there are others out there who can help you. Your local ALS association, Hospice (which most if not all ALS patients qualify for immediately...it has nothing to do with the whole 6 months to live thing, because ALS is considered terminal so ALS patients can recieve help from hospice for many months and even years), church support groups, and any other support network you can find can all help you care for your mom without becoming burnt out. Another tip....find someone who is/has been in the helpcare profession who you can call just for general help and tips about caregiving. I had an elderly relative who worked for years in a nursing home and she was able so give me so many tips on how to care for my mom once she was completely bedridden...on the occasions when I needed an extra pair of hands and had hopsice come in to help with caregiving, they thought I was a pro, but I just had a very good advisor.

You are right...when your mom gets to the point when she can not talk/move, things become so much more difficult. At least you are aware of that and not trying to hide from the reality...thats the first step to dealing with it. Believe me though, as her caregiver, you will be able to find ways to communicate. You will know the right "yes" and "No" questions to ask because you know her and have been caring for her and you can work out signals for her to answer...even it is just a slight twitch of her eyebrows, or a parting of her lips. Also, as you establish routines with her while she still can speak/move, you will learn what she wants done and when she wants it done, which will allow you to care for her and keep her comfortable even after you can no longer communicate with her. It is a difficult, day by day process, but since you have already determined that you will be there for her until the end, you obviously have the personal strength and heart to move through it with her. I can only tell you this, I have never been more thankful for any decision I have made then I am that I was with my mom as her caregiver until the end and I believe that someday you will feel the same way.

My thoughts and prayers are with you! You are a strong person and a wonderful son to be willing to fight this battle along side of your mom.

One more thing I meant to say...I also had very young siblings who I began caring for when I became my mom's caregiver, so I can understand the added pressure that is. ALthough you will want to shield them from the ugliness of ALS as your mom progresses, don't be afraid to involve them in the care for your mom. My youngest brother was only 8 (now 12) and my sister was 12 (now 16) but they both helped to be my extra pair of hands many times with mom. I'm not saying there won't be some things that you will try to shield them from, but the reality is, they will be forced to live with this disease also, so let them have a part in helping you and your mom fight it. My little brother spent a lot of the past several days as we sat by my mom's bedside, waiting for her passing, reminiscing about what he did to help her as she progressed through the disease and I think knowing that he contributed to her comfort and care was a huge help to him as he processed his grief.

It will be difficult watching them be forced to confront things that many other children their age will never have to confront, but if they know that they have people to turn to and talk to (you, Hospice councilors, Church clergy, other relatives, etc...), they will continually amaze you with their spirit and resilience. You may find that sometimes their faith will give you strength. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back