Status
Not open for further replies.
Beth

Is that your picture? I don't remember the mustache when I was at your house a few weeks ago. It sure grew in fast. I do think, however, that you consider shaving it off.... unless of course you let your beard grow in also

Stu ... I think when you were here, my hair was a little fluffier, and I was wearing bangs, so that is probably why you don't recognize me in the photo.

I'll think about the beard. Maybe a goatee to start? Or a donkee? Or a Fu Manchu and a skull tatoo ? (it rhymes)

I just got off the phone with Stu. I want what he is taking.

Stu says there may be someone I can talk to.

I don't have anyone to help me and dealing with all of it on my own is a lot. I've been through many difficult things in my life and for the first time I feel like I am in completely over my head.

I'm afraid of what is going to happen in the future when I can't take care of myself. I already am having some trouble taking care of myself -- things that I once never thought about are now challenging. Remember when changing the sheets was a ten minute job? That's over. It's a forty-five minute ordeal now. And it's all only going to get more challenging before it is all impossible. I want to just find a nice person and say, look, I've got life insurance and I'll be dead soon enough, will you help me?

It's like I am staring into a giant black hole. In the past, I always engaged in physical activity as a means to reduce stress. Now that has been taken away from me. (Anyone want to buy some used rock climbing equipment? A nice backpack?) I miss kayaking. And I never did get around to learning to surf. That was on my list.

I tried to change Hopkins docs and the scheduling person said I can't do that. I'm going to a clinic there at the end of September. I'm also going to check out GWU. I have an appointment with a neuro there in mid-September.

Thanks everyone.

I think one of the earliest lessons my PALS learned was asking for help. It's hard when you are independent and self reliant. Is there someone you know who seems to be compassionate? Someone you can talk to about all this. You have to reach out for help. People are not mind readers, and I am thinking that those who are around you are assuming you're being taken care of. It's so hard to ask for help, but once you do, people will suprise you by their kindness. Opening up to us is a great first step, and look where it has gotten you...you are developing a plan, expressing yourself, and, hopefully, not feeling so alone. Hang in there. We are all looking out for you. Re-read Roses' post. She knows what she is talking about, there in your own state. My own PALS, Andy, found love when he reached out, in the form of me. I had started helping him because he was a single dad facing this. I never knew him before he was diagnosed. He ended up to be my soulmate. So anything is possible.

You will qualify for the help of aides. They will change your sheets for you, in addition to anything else that needs taken care of. It all takes time to get set up, but sooner than later you will find things coming together, especially once you meet with the people you have mentioned. Mid September is a few weeks away. Hang in there. The neuro will also be a great resource of information, so tell him or her of your aloneness and need for help.

So I will pray that God gives you that special someone to help you through this. I truly believe things will come together for you. I'm worried about you, so stay in touch, okay?

I haven't read all the replies, so it may have been answered before. Are you a veteran?
Wynn

No, I'm not a veteran.

Pam, you sound like a beautiful, caring person. Re: Rose's post -- there was so much info there that I thought I might have to print it out but I read it a couple of times and I'm ok there. I find myself getting confused because there is so much to do and learn and remember. I have a couple of prestigious academic degrees (which I have unfortunately not parlayed into financial gain) but anyway, my point is, I don't think my brain can contain all this sometimes.

I spent my life helping other people, most of whom didn't really care about me. That was a mistake. Being single is scary but not as scary as being in this condition and being in an emotionally abuse relationship.

Roadkill, I hear your frustration. My prays are with you. Maybe it is time to ask family and friends for the help you need. Being the strong one is a great thing but people get used to someone taking care of everything and it just might not dawn on them you need the help now.
Rhonda

Roadkill... here's another idea. Again, it involves asking for help, but you came here and did that, so you are learning. When Glen first got his diagnosed, someone told me to make a "wish list" of things he/we need help with. It doesn't matter how big or little, just right it down. Then (here's the tough part) you have to acknowledge to people that you are ill and need some help. You'll be surprised how many will say "Please let me know if we can do anything....." Show them your list! My son's girlfriend now mops my kitchen floor and vacuums my stairs weekly, a cousin is changing our door knobs to levers, a church friend is minding my dogs so we can get away for a couple of days. I bet if you put "changing the sheets" on your list... somebody will look at it and say "Oh.. I can do that!"

I hope when you talked to Stu, you two got into the issue of the emotionally abusive relationship you mentioned. A couple people on this forum, past and present, have had to deal with that, and I think we could muster an army, if need be, to help an ALS patient in a situation like that.

If you need legal advice about extracting yourself from such a situation and don't want to go into details on the forum, let Stu know.

You said you have a life insurance policy. Some insurance companies pay benefits to people who have terminal illnesses. You might want to check this out.

If that doesn't work, there are investors that buy life insurance policies. The price is usually based on the age of the insured, but I'm sure that there must be a provision for an insured with a terminal illness. The payment you get is a negotiated sum. And, if I read the details right, it is treated like ordinary income. To decrease the taxes, you would want to take the payment in a year you didn't have earned income--or take it in two payments in separate years. The following article relates:

http://www.dechert.com/library/Int_Domestic_Tax_SA_05-09_IRS_Clarifies_Tax_Treatment.pdf

Whatever you do, don't take your own life! That would only benefit the insurance company, and it sure won't benefit you.

I will be praying that you find a solution to your situation.

Wynn

My relationship ended two years ago. It was a nightmare. I was just starting to think life without a partner could be good. I enjoyed kayaking, rock climbing, lots of active, healthy pursuits. I've always been into being physically active. It was fun for me, and a stress reliever. Now, that's over and people think I should be ok with an antidepressant instead as if that is just as good as being physically active with athletic activities.

The Hopkins neurologist asked me what kinds of things I couldn't do any more. I said, "Kayaking. I miss that the most."

He said, "I hate kayakers. They ruin the fishing." I tried to tell him that I never did that to anyone. I didn't kayak where I knew people were fishing and if I saw someone fishing, I gave them lots of space and avoided getting near. He went on and on about how he hated kayakers.

It never got better after that. He left me in the room, freezing in an exam gown, for 40 minutes. Came back, did a cursory exam and said I was doing great, showed me out... Hopkins won't let me change doctors. I tried. The appointment setting people said I can't do that.

I am not too worried about my life insurance not paying out due to suicide. If my beneficiaries are not going to help me, why should I care? I haven't made any decisions yet but I just don't see myself lasting much past when it gets more difficult.

I am a kind person but I don't have any close personal relationships. That didn't work out. I was the victim of severe physical and emotional abuse in childhood. The adult relationship thing didn't work out. (One abusive relationship after another until I figured out that I probably should not even try to be in an intimate relationship.) Now I am middle aged and have no one to help me.

I'm tired. Everything has been such an incredible struggle.

I called the ALS Association and everything the person suggested involves a lot of money (paying people to help me). I think the ALS Association person didn't really want to talk to me. I'm too much of a mess. Most people like their cripples and cripples-to-be to be heroic and hopeful. Looking at the recent local chapter newsletter, there is not one negative about ALS in it. Every single paragraph is filled with happiness and hope. I don't fit in there.

Plus, she kept suggesting I quit work. I can’t. I have no real savings. SSDI isn’t going to give me as much as I get paid. And, more importantly, I have good medical insurance -- until I can't work anymore. Then, it's all over. My medical insurance will pay for a lot of stuff until it is canceled. But at some point, I am going to need a person to help me and I don't have that. I won't be able to deal with personal care and transportation and appointments and everything. I have cut back on showering due to how much energy that takes. Everything is only going to get worse and harder.

Seriously, if I could find one trustworthy, kind person who would really help me, I'd leave them everything -- not much, but my life insurance, pension, etc. (Sorry, no kayaking and rock climbing equipment. I already packed that up and donated it to a charity thrift store. I couldn't bear to sell it. I would have cried to every person looking at the stuff.)

Google: cari loder suicde

Read about how the Greeks supposedly left deformed babies on a mountainside to die.

I am not going to end it all today. But I can't help but consider these things. I don't want to be dumped in a state run nursing home and yelled at by neglectful nurses and rot with bed sores. In the recent past, I had surgery that put me in a supposedly good hospital for two days. I was supposed to stay for a week. I had no visitors and the nurses were really mean. The nurses did not bring me my prescribed pain medication. I was in agony. Heck, I had NO FOOD or water for two days and I was supposed to get that. Food and water were not contraindicated. When I asked for help they got very angry. I left early, against doctor's orders, with a bed sore that took a month to heal (and I still have the scar). As soon as I could stand, I left (quite unsteady, but determined).

I really appreciate all the concern here. I really do. But I can't help but think about this stuff.

Stu gave me the telephone number of a psychologist to call Monday. I will do that. I'm not sure how that will work. And someone else is supposed to call me. But, I'm not sure what will change when I talk to these people. My life is over. It's just that I'm still here going through the motions.

When I can't go through the motions? That's not today or tomorrow, but it is inevitable.

I'm sorry this is so long and not hopeful. People here have been very kind and I appreciate it.

When things get worse, I just don't know who is going to drive me to my doctor who hates me ("I hate kayakers") so I can sit freezing in an exam room for 40 minutes to be told I'm doing great. I don't know who is going to deal with all the paperwork of medical care. I don't know who is going to help me eat and shower. I feel like someone dumped a ton of bricks on me and the floor is about to give way beneath me.

Roadie ... Please follow through with the contacts Stu gave you.

I can't say anything to "cheer you up," but I have been through a major depression following a heart attack, and know what a living hell it is. Just hang on for now. I'm glad you are not going to do anything precipitous.

A lot of what is scaring you are the logistics of living with ALS and they are tough. You're right ... no one can do it alone, and you will need help. But you have financial resources (the life insurance) that can help you overcome the physical limitations. It takes time to build a support system, but you're already starting! You've reached out to us, you've reached out to Stu and ALSA and now you have more contacts to reach out to.

Muscular Dystrophy Assn. will help you with medical expenses when your insurance runs out. Even if you don't like your neuro at Hopkins, you're at one of the best facilities in the world, so ignore his lousy personality. You have the strength to reach out for help. Please keep doing it, a baby step at a time.

You DON'T have to go through this alone.

go to the director of the unit explain why you dont want the doc you have ,you do have the right to change doctors

Roadkill,

I'm very sorry you have been diagnosed with ALS. If you qualify for SSDI, then you will be also on Medicare, which will provide for you medical needs. The MDA will have grants available to help cover what Medicare does not.

You may want to contact an attorney to figure out how to qualify for Medicaid. If I remember correctly, you will then qualify for more help that way.

Please hang in there. The people on this forum do care, even if no one else in your life does.

Keep us posted.

Once we get you set up with Mary Beth Geise, she'll be able to walk you thru all possible insurance and financial options available to PALS. I think you'll see that after you guys talk, some of the stress and anxiety you are feeling may lessen.

Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back