Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Brant
For the past few days I have noticed my right upper muscle has been twitching.

Recently I started going to the gym after a 3 month break. I lifted heavy on the first day, without warming-up. After a day to two I noticed twitches only on the top back of my right upper arm.

It happens during sleep, which I don't notice, and mornings which I do notice, and when my arms are at rest. Of course googling scared me as I came across topics on and about ALS.

It seems that twitches have decreased or gone. I noticed few days back that my front upper arm twitched a little bit. It is not there. Today, there were couple near my tricep.

There is no muscle weakness as such. I can still lift heavy - have stopped it for the past few days as the bicep was little sore. Today is seems to be fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Or am I getting scared after reading the millions on links on the internet?

Relax

Muscle twitching after lifting weights is completely normal . . . especially after having not lifted weights in months. Twitching would also be caused if you abruptly stopped lifting weights after having done so for some time.
The internet is certainly a blessing but in some cases (self-diagnosis of disease for example) can be a curse. Twitching is certainly a symptom of ALS but it also a symptom of a gazillion other things, almost all of which are completely benign.
I think you can relax.

For the past few days I have noticed my right upper muscle has been twitching.

Recently I started going to the gym after a 3 month break. I lifted heavy on the first day, without warming-up. After a day to two I noticed twitches only on the top back of my right upper arm.

It happens during sleep, which I don't notice, and mornings which I do notice, and when my arms are at rest. Of course googling scared me as I came across topics on and about ALS.

It seems that twitches have decreased or gone. I noticed few days back that my front upper arm twitched a little bit. It is not there. Today, there were couple near my tricep.

There is no muscle weakness as such. I can still lift heavy - have stopped it for the past few days as the bicep was little sore. Today is seems to be fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Or am I getting scared after reading the millions on links on the internet?

I think you answered you own question..Everything in moderation. You probably over did with the weights.
It amazing how people think they hav als as soon as they get a twitch. Most twitches are benign and almost everyone has experenced them at one time in their life.

Relax and dont overdue

Pat

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate that. It has been one week and now it seems the twitching has subsided/gone. I get occasional twitches on my arm.

So far now muscle weakness or decrease in size. Of course, after reading so many posts I suddenly my hands feel week! :( I have lost appetite.

Worrying causes loss of appetite. Go for a walk. We finally have a warm day.
AL.

Thanks Al! I have been reading your posts. You have been an inspiration to many out here. I don't how you guys have the courage and strength to comfort others, but you are extremely brave! God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back