Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anne Arundel Co
Found this very interesting post by someone at ALS-TDI Forums and wanted to share it so we can better understand the stagnation on ALS Research on finding a drug to cure this disease or, at least to stop its progression. The reason, the failed approach of testing drugs on mice instead on PALS living with this disease day by day.

Rodent research.

1. ALS is a mixture of similar related illness but not having the same biological pathways.

2. Results from the animal studies should only be tested on those ALS patients with the same type of ALS. Failure to do so discards the evidence for selective potential ALS therapeutics for specific sub ALS types.

3. The SOD1 mutant rodents used only represents a very small percentage of the human ALS types but consumes most of the research. Biological pathways are different and specific to different types of ALS.

4. The SOD1 mutant rodents types does not match human type SOD1 ALS exactly.

5. Rodents are bred to be genetically the same, eat the same type of food and live in the same kind of environmental conditions. This does not apply to humans. Rodents also have higher metabolic rate than humans.

5. Rodents have different genetic makeup, in certain critical, pathways so do not correlate exactly with humans. Meaning certain test substances will do different things in rodents and humans.

6. Biological pathways change over time in ALS. What might be therapeutic at the start of symptom onset may be detrimental later on or the other way around. ALS is not a static illness but changes over time. Selection and testing of therapeutics must take this factor in hand when testing on humans.

7. Gender difference occur in the same types of ALS but testing in animals/rodents rarely takes this into consideration.

8. Sloppy mouse testing seems also to be common.

Oxidative stress in ALS is only one of several dysfunctional pathways in ALS

This paper is just one example of what I have said above.

Alterations in anti-oxidative defence enzymes in erythrocytes from sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (SALS) and familial ALS patients.

CONCLUSIONS:

Changes in erythrocyte ADE activities suggest that oxidative stress, involved in the motor neurone pathogenesis of SALS and FALS, also has systemic effects.

Differences in ADE systems between the study groups revealed the presence of different types of oxidative pressure, indicating the potential additional benefit of individually designed anti-oxidant cocktail therapies

Add to the above that genetic testing and blood sampling of all people with ALS is not routinely done and anecdotal evidence, is ignored and that's where we are.

No central data base collecting and analysing tissue, genetic and blood samples for all with ALS.

Another factor is the failure to follow up exactly and find out why certain substances have been beneficial is some but, when retested, not in others and you get an idea of the state of ALS research.

Just cure one human, no matter whatever type of ALS, then we may be able to move forward.

I hope this explains the reasons why we don't have a cure for ALS/MND yet.

Carlos

Last edited:
Hi Carlos it is frustrating isn't it? At least now they are looking at other ways to study. At one of my research visits they took a skin biopsy that was to be used to grown cells lines from which they can make motor neurons and they planned to study drug effects on those motor neurons. So they are looking for other ways. Another research projects was doing the same thing with skin to study motor neurons in different environments. A third study is looking at monocytes in PALS and preFALS expanding on information from those mice.
Best wishes
Nikki (honorary lab rat)

i did the same at MGH since I agree the mouse model is faulty

We probably did some of the same studies. 2 of mine are MGH. For interested PALS you do not have to be a patient of the institution conducting the studies. There are several sites collecting tissue,CSF and or blood. If you browse through the NEALS site listing you can find them.

Hi Carlos it is frustrating isn't it? At least now they are looking at other ways to study. At one of my research visits they took a skin biopsy that was to be used to grown cells lines from which they can make motor neurons and they planned to study drug effects on those motor neurons. So they are looking for other ways. Another research projects was doing the same thing with skin to study motor neurons in different environments. A third study is looking at monocytes in PALS and preFALS expanding on information from those mice.
Best wishes
Nikki (honorary lab rat)

Nikki,

That's nice to know.
At least, they are just starting to realize that they have been wrong all this time trying to extrapolate results from mice testing to humans. They do not correlate so well as mice and human are so different genetically speaking. What may work on mice, may not work on PALS.

Carlos

If you are able Carlos They are collecting samples from PALS in Bethesda. I think they go into a bank available to researchers. Even though my samples were for specific studies they were also going to make them available to researchers for as long as the cells were good which they said would be years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back