which fingers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, my pinky and ring finger on right hand are ones most affected as well. What is more bothersome than that for me is that I am constantly dropping things. I bought a Blackberry a couple months ago. I passed on the insurance, but think I better get it. I drop it all the time!

Ahands, you have not been diagnosed correct?
Not formally, I think. First nuerologist I saw thought, and still thinks its ALS, next two weren't sure. Fourth put me on Riluzole and ran tests, back before Thanksgiving--I should get results Tuesday afternoon. Fifth says he thinks its ALS.

Do you have profound weakness in your hands?
I'd say, yes. The left is almost useless. I can use my right to place objects into the curled fingers of the left, but I can't straighten the fingers, can't curl them with any force, and P can't control the wrist anymore either--the hand flops around at the end of the arm.

On the right I've lost the thenar, so I no longer have opposable thumbs. The back of the right is bony.

It seems that atrophy and weakness should go hand in hand (no pun intended), but sometimes one does not see this correlation.
? How could one not see? For me the atrophy has directly resultd in not just weakness, but loss of function. Then again, it was only when there was visible atrophy that I contacted a doctor, and still a couple months before a PT pointed out to me that my thumb did not work right anymore.

Funny, my pinky and ring finger on right hand are ones most affected as well. What is more bothersome than that for me is that I am constantly dropping things. I bought a Blackberry a couple months ago. I passed on the insurance, but think I better get it. I drop it all the time!

The pinky and ring finger are cntrolled by the ulnar nerve. The thumb, index and middle finger are controlled by the median nerve. Losing the thumb makes it real aggrevating to try to pick up things, like pills! I have to use my mouth on zippers and tearing open plastic bags, and sometimes my tongue to pick up pills. Rather humiliating.

Ahands:

Recently, I am starting to have more problems with some of the same functions you describe. For example, even opening the twist tops on plastic juice containers is becoming difficult. Also, I had a difficult time tearing the plastic cat food bag.

Jeff:

he he he I'm sure your wife appreciates you still have some pinch strength left!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back