Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
Florida
City
A Small Beach Town
I'm going in for an overnight sleep study tomorrow night with the hopes that it will result in a bipap machine (pant, pant). My question is who selects the brand and model of the machine. I have medicare so is it medicare, my doctor, or me that determines what I get?

I filled out the form called "Help Me Choose" at this website so I have an idea of which one best fits my needs but who makes the selection?

Hey Bill
I use the TRILOGY ,ths is what ALSA recommends

Your doctor will decide what BiPAP machine that you get, probably in consultation with the Medicare guidelines. At minimum, it will be a BiPAP/VPAP ST. Depending on what else is found during the sleep study, you may get an AVAPS or even one of the new Trilogy machines.

My clinic ordered me a Trilogy which is running in the AVAPS mode. I have been on it since June of 2010. It really helps keep me feeling good. I use it all night and when I lay down during the day. At my last clinic visit a week ago I had a FVC of 55% sitting up and a 20% laying down. I hope they get you what you need.

My mom uses a Trilogy and we have had great experiences with it. It allows her to talk when it pushes the air into her lungs because without it on she doesn't have enough lung capacity to speak. She wears it pretty much all the time except when eating and toileting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back