Other
Country
US
State
OH
City
Columbus
Hi all,

First, I would like to send peace and love out to those of you coping with ALS. Personally, my uncle has been affected with motor neuron disease (currently has aspiration pneumonia). I am happy so many have been made aware of ALS/MND through the "Ice Bucket Challenge," even if not all donate.

I wanted to ask a general nutrition question to the users of this forum, who may be able to shed some light on this topic.

I have been vigorously researching ALS lately, and have come across what seems to be very conflicting information. On one hand, researchers says BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) could potentially be causing some cases of ALS ( Stronger is not always better: could a bodybuilding dietary supplement lead to ALS? ). On the other hand, researchers have also found BCAAs to help those with ALS retain muscle and weight throughout the course of the disease. Furthermore, some researchers have found that whey protein, specifically, helps relieve oxidative stress (which is also believed to bring forth the onset of ALS) ( TEDxDU Seminar on Lou Gehrig's Disease, ALS and whey (Immunocal) - YouTube ). Well, whey protein is certainly not missing any BCAAs. From all the research I have done on whey protein (isolates and blends), all seem to tout the HIGH levels of BCAAs found in whey (or added after the fact). Most whey protein supplements have around 5.5g of added BCAAs per serving. Say, two servings a day, and that is 11g of BCAAs coming from whey protein (plus whatever BCAAs and other aminos you acquire through regular diet).

So my question is this: are only extremely high concentrations of BCAAs dangerous in terms of possibly triggering ALS? What is a high dose of BCAAs for the average individual? And it would seem to me that if BCAAs had a hand in potentially triggering ALS, whey protein would NOT have the protective attributes it is claimed to have, no?

Personally, I supplement with whey protein after weightlifting, and drink a whey protein shake first thing in the morning on days I do not lift (it contains around 13g of BCAAs). I am very lost in understanding whether or not it is potentially harmful to continue this practice of drinking whey protein and concentrated amounts of BCAAs every day, OR is extremely protective (as the above video seems to suggest).

Research has shown that athletes run a higher risk of ALS.

Mixed message.

A small double-blind study found evidence that BCAAs might help protect muscle strength in people with Lou Gehrig's disease . Eighteen individuals were given either BCAAs (taken 4 times daily between meals) or placebo and followed for 1 year. The results showed that people taking BCAAs declined much more slowly than those receiving placebo. In the placebo group, 5 of 9 participants lost their ability to walk, 2 died, and another required a respirator. Only 1 of the 9 participants receiving BCAAs became unable to walk during the study period. This study is too small to give conclusive evidence, but it does suggest that BCAAs might be helpful for this disease.

However, other studies found no effect, and one actually found a slight increase in deaths during the study period among those treated with BCAAs compared to placebo."[/indent]

One study I found speculates that BCAAs could lead to a motor neuron disease.

BCAAs have been suggested to be the cause of a high incidence of ALS among professional American football players and Italian soccer players."[/indent]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back