11/2016
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Houston
Hello to everyone,

My father, age 56, was recently diagnosed of MND. It all started April 2016 when we noticed my dad started dragging his right foot. He began to trip and fall more than ever in his life. He was extremely athletic all of his life and has worked from the early age of 7 until recently. We are originally from Mexico. Anyways, we cannot find any history of any ALS or something similar to my father's family at all. He did work for some long time in the fields of California picking produce around the 80s and then construction work here in Texas sometime in the late 80s up until 2000s. We think that he may have come in contact with some sort of chemical or something of the likes that may have caused this terrible disease.

Question #1: Any word on anyone ever hearing about ALS/MND caused by chemicals, etc?

Currently, he has received only diagnosis and some steroid treatment due to some inflammation in CSF that was present along with the MND symptoms. He has been given disability by SS and Medicare(s) in the last three months. Now we are attempting to see if we can get further resources for him and my mother since she depended on him.

Question #2: What can we do as far as insurance for my mother since she cannot work?

To conclude, it has been very difficult for us as a family since we have always been so close. We have always been strong for each other and we are still trying to stay strong. My dad has appointment tomorrow with a psychologist (my doing), to help him cope and understand how all of our lives will change. He has problems understanding how there is almost nothing we can do with this disease.

Thank You for your time.

Hi, Owl, very sorry to hear about your dad. There is suspicion that some cases of ALS may relate to chemical exposure, but no hard proof as yet. It is a topic under research. Most ALS cases are not inherited, so we don't know exactly why some people get ALS.

Unfortunately, your mom would either need to go on Medicaid, if she qualifies, or buy individual insurance on the Exchange. In the latter case, the higher the deductible, the less she would pay per month. There may be a social worker affiliated with your dad's clinic who could advise your mom on financial resources and tips; if not, one of her docs can write an order for a home health agency to come out and evaluate what your parents' health care needs are; Medicare will generally pay for a visit from a social worker attached to the agency, and that could help clarify if your dad is eligible for OT and/or PT services at home at this point.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your help. Finding this forum has helped us out tremendously.

Hey owl, sorry your here but is good place to ask questions.
The VA has put on paper that my dx is due to time in Vietnam and exposure to agent orange.
Your dad being around all those crops I am sure there was plenty of chemicals.
Still there's no real prof of what causes ALS. So we wait. Good luck to you,your dad and familia.
Chally

Sorry to have to welcome you here Owl. You have found a great place for information and support.

I believe my PALS ALS was caused by chemical exposure but there is no way to prove it. There seems to be so many different theories on what causes ALS. Hopefully someday soon, they will figure it out.

NightOwl, sorry you're here as the others above have said.

Yes. there is a possibility of chemical exposure. When I returned from Viet Nam I had a bout of the chloracne and my daughter born after my return was born with mild birth defects.

But, in your situation it probably won't give much in relief but may answer some of your curiosity.

Laurie pretty much covered the insurance thing.

It's long shot but... you might search the internet to see if there are any class action suits concerning agricultural chemicals and or the construction industry. But, if there is... it's a bunch of hoops to jump through and time consuming unlike the asbestos claims. You may have enough on your plate now to pursue that.

The psychologist appointment is a good decision, be thankful your family is close and strong. Best... keep in touch.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the kind words and information. It means the world to us. My dad has been to the psychologist once since then, waiting on a second appointment. I think he is now accepting everything but still is not giving up.
We are very fortunate, despite of everything, that Hurricane Harvey did not affect us.
Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back