Diagnosis
October 2006
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
Where to go for Clinic from Nova Scotia?

I met someone online that wanted to know which ALS clinic would be convenient to get to from Nova Scotia. Since I'm in Denver I have no idea but thought that some of the CA PALS could comment.

Jim

hope this helps- found on the Canadian website for ALS when searching "clinics nova scotia."

The Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation
800 Priestman St.
Fredericton, NB E3B 4R3
Tel: 506-452-5691
Fax: 506-452-5190

Physician: Colleen O'Connell, MD, FRCPC
Clinical Coordinator Karen Grotterod

Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia

If they go to www.als.ca and search clinics by province it will give them the clinics. If they want the best ones west of Nova Scotia they have to go to Montreal or one of the ones in Ontario. If they are anglophones Ontario is the best bet. My opinion for what it's worth.
AL.

jimercat said:
hope this helps- found on the Canadian website for ALS when searching "clinics nova scotia."

The Stan Cassidy Centre for Rehabilitation
800 Priestman St.
Fredericton, NB E3B 4R3
Tel: 506-452-5691
Fax: 506-452-5190

Physician: Colleen O'Connell, MD, FRCPC
Clinical Coordinator Karen Grotterod

Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia
Actually, this is the clinic in New Brunswick. The web page layout is confusing. The listing for the Nova Scotia clinic is in Halifax:

Capital District Health Authority
Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre
Neuromuscular Clinic - NeurologyDr. I. A. Grant

Neuromuscular Clinic - Physical Medicine
Dr. B. Joyce

P.O. Box 9000, Summer Streeet
Halifax, NS B3K 6A5

(902) 473-3731 (Dr. Grant)(902) 473-1238 (Dr. Joyce)

(902) 473 4438(902) 473-3204

Hi and thanks West for posting this. Just to let you know for future reference that the Stan cassidy Center in Fredericton NB is NOT a diagnostic clinic..it is a rehab center. They can refer people but the center itself is NOT for testing/diagnosis of neuromuscular diseases. It is my understanding that on the east coast of Canada the testing/diagnostic clinic would be QE2 Hospital in Halifax Nova Scotia. After that it would be Quebec etc. as someone stated.
I have been told that I should be referred to the Montreal Neurological Hospital in Quebec....I am just trying to figure out which is best..Quebec or Ontario...if anyone has any thoughts or experience with either of these centers I would appreciate hearing about them.
Thanks

Hi Willow,

After spending several frustrating years making the rounds of various neurologists in my own province, and going on the recommendation of a medical friend, I had my records sent to the Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital. It specializes in neurological research and teaching and is part of McGill University. They reviewed my records from here, had me up for some more tests including another EMG and diagnosed me on the spot. They are thorough and meticulous but I never heard from them again when I had returned home. But then again, what is there to add once diagnosed?

BTW, I'm an anglophone and I don't think I heard a word of French spoken once inside the doors of McGill. It's a real English enclave.

John

John..thanks for the response I really do appreciate it and the information was helpful to me. I was wondering about the French aspect as I like you, am anglophone. Through the MDC I was able to speak with someone who was at the Montreal Hopsital many years ago, but felt it was good.
Thank you again for your repsonses everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back