Reason
Other
Country
ca
State
ont
City
asdf
I haven't posted since last November. My dad has ALS and is rapidly losing mobility. At Christmastime, his arms were weak and his speech was notably slurred. Now his arms are almost entirely useless, his speech continues to deteriorate, and now his legs are weakening rapidly. Dad and mom have a 2 storey home and soon the stairs will be a problem for him.

We're going to convert the mainfloor laundry room to a fully accessible bathroom (by wheelchair). I found a UK supplier for a tall bathtub with a door that opens in such a way to allow easily transition from wheelchair to tubseat without a hoist or lift.

Where do I look for one of these in Ontario? I'll ship from the the US if I have too. This looks like a near-perfect solution without the need to sell this home and move to a bungalow.

Any links to suppliers out there?

Thank you.
Bill

There is also a company called premier bathtubs that has some possible choices for you. We had a rep come to our home to give us a price. Uninstalled this bathtub was to cost 9000. My brother has bulbar onset and still is capable enough to walk in and sit in bathtub. Here is their website: http://www.premier-bathrooms.com/

Hi,

I hate to say this, but these tubs really won't work for a PALS longterm.

How are you going to transfer him into it? sliding-bad for his skin...lifting-bad for everybody's back
Who is going to bend and reach in to wash legs/feet?...very bad for your back
If/when his neck gets weak there's no head support.

The best solution is a roll-in shower.He only needs to transfer to a showerchair,
can roll over the toilet to "attend his business", and roll into the shower.

There are showerchairs that tilt back and have headsupport.

Good Luck,
Karin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back