Not open for further replies.

913mommyof3

Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Osawatomie
I have been keeping my eyes open and checking craigslist for wheelchair vans. I finally found one I was really interested in, and they sold it. I emailed them 3 hrs after it was posted. I am going to lose my mind! I don't know how anyone affords a converted vehicle! I feel obsessed with finding one now that a powerchair has been ordered for my husband (back on Aug 15th). It could be here within a couple weeks. I just want to cry.

Have you contacted the local MDA office to see if any local dealers carry them (used)? There's a dealer not too far from me that has about a half dozen or more used vans on their website. I'm wondering if its possible to have someone convert my 2001 Honda Odyssey minivan so I can still use it if in a wheelchair (even if I'm not the one driving anymore).

I am looking on ebay...and hoping for a local listing. I am looking for a Ford Transit Connect with ramp.

Contact your local/regional ALS organization. They may actually have some that families who no longer need donate. If they don't have them, they can probably direct you to places that you can get one.

we bought one on ebay from a wholesaler. It is rebuilt--from what I was told (don't know If it is true or not)when these vans get in a wreak even minor they are totaled by the insurance company. wholesalers rebuild them and get them re titled. we got it in 2009 and have not had a single problem with it. Toyota sienna with electric side ramp. really good price and low miles! try that!

I checked into converting our 2005 Uplander, it would cost around 15k and nobody wants to convert something that is over a few years old. No wonder everyone wants a great deal of money for their used ones. I will contact MDA and ALSA. I've looked on the ALSA website for used ones, no luck. Thanks for the suggestions!

Our MDA sometimes sends us links to used vans. Check their site out for your surrounding area.

I think if you can get a price that is better than List (new) or Blue Book(used) plus $23,000 for a full conversion (ramp and vehicle lift) you are doing ok. If you are going for a different type of car, check out the new list price and compare it to the new car with the conversion price. Compare that at different places. You will have an idea of what the type of conversion you want costs. Think about your family and what you will need. If you are like us we are now a one car family and there is more than one need to consider. I know of people that got used vehicles and were fine and some that have had their used vehicles on a lift for months(broken). We got a new vehicle (from a dealership over an hour away) and the electrical system shorted out the first day! (Because of the conversion) I was told I had to bring it to them to be fixed because the "agreement" was that they dont pick up vehicles that need to serviced. Haha! I told them I should at least have a 36 hour GUARANTEE that the piece of you know what didn't breakdown. They picked up the car and brought it back. I was quite angry. Haven't had a problem since, but could run into a problem with such an agreement in the future. Basically new... used.. its all a c&%pshoot. Go for a good price, open and close the doors a hundred times, do the ramp lift, have a mechanic check it out and anything else you can think of. Good luck.

Many times when one of the families served by MDA no longer need a van, they will contact the MDA office. I would definitely call them and also your ALSA office and ask them to let you know if they hear of one. Another suggestion is local rehab centers. We have a large one called TIRR. They have a bulletin board for patients to post for sale and wanted items, but anyone can call or go back and check it.

Last year Eddie bought a new Chrysler conversion van. I am the only one who has driven it.
I think the mileage is less than 6k. I know he paid around 55k new. I think he would sell
it. I have had no problems with it at all. It certainly has all the bells and whistles.

Side ramp, drops 18 inchs as the van lowers for discharge. Passenger seat is equipped
to move backward far enough to transfer from chair to front seat. Both seats removable
for chair to just slide in to drive or ride in van. Dual DVD's with head sets. Sat. radio.

Don't know if you want to spend that kind of money?

Anyway, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Jim

I was looking to spend quite a bit less than that. I cannot work and am waiting on the application for home and community based services to see if I can either get paid to be here with my husband or to see if someone else can come in and I can get a job. If things stay the way they are, I can't afford much for a vehicle payment. We have three young children, so that doesn't help in our financial situation.
Thank you for all of the suggestions!

I just looked on ebay. There are 143 listed in all sorts of styles and prices. Might be worth a look to see if there is anything reasonably close to you.

We got ours from a referral from our ALS Clinic. The widow sold it to us.

AL.

I have checked ebay. I went by the local senior center today. Also, stopped by a dealership and met a nice salesman (imagine that!) who is going to put the word out to a few of his friends and see if he can find anything. I am contacting the ALS clinic shortly.

Wendy, I work at a dealership as a business manager. I have worked here for 14 years. We have sold several new and used conversion vans and I am starting to look at them for myself. Let me know what you are looking for and a price range. You can PM me if you rather do it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back