06/2005
Country
US
State
Az
City
Kingman
Hi,

Stumbled upon this forum when searching for tips for cleaning my wife's PEG tube.

My wife is a cancer survivor that ended up with pancreatitis after receiving chemo (non-drinker; had to have old chemo that we, later, found out had a side affect of giving people pancreatitis :mad:).

Anyway, she ended up with a PEG tube to, hopefully, bypass the pancreas, for tube feeding. She's had trouble getting a doctor to change her tube, so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible insofar as things for keeping it clean.

Saw that people have found places for these brushes, so was just wondering if y'all could send some links for me?

Thanks much :)
Glenn

Try the Salinas Peg Brush from MEL INC. out of NC. You can reach them at 704-487-0166. This product really works

make sure you flush it with water alot. also, sometimes having some coca cola sit in it for a bit, will break up the build up and then can be flushed. may i ask why the dr wont change it? that doesn't seem right.

You can also use the pipe cleaners like you use to use for crafts. Called Fuzzy sticks in walmart craft section.

Most people advise pipe cleaners, coat hangers and qtips. All 3 I would not use as they can damage the tube. There are a lot of companies making it but the one from MEL works better than others. They have been making them for 30 years - you can buy directly from them in small quantities.,. easy to talk to and VERY helpful. I suggest you call them at 704-487-0166. website is pegbrush.com but you need to call them. Good luck to you both

Its expensive to change and patient trauma involved can be huge. You have both issues to contend with. While Coca Cola will eat the barnicles off the bottom of a ship I would not be happy using that for a tube. Also foreign objects like pipe cleaners and qtips can damage the tube and leave debris. Order the brushes from MEL and you will be very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back