Where did u work

Status
Not open for further replies.
You forgot the Air Force! Aim high...fly-fight-win!

Last edited:
Thanks nikki! Still in my edit time frame so all corrected!
J x
PS because I can't for the life of me remember where that convo was, thanks for the boot info. Chasing up in the AM.
xx

Very athletic, swam 3 to 5 miles a day from the age of six to the age of 15. Fell off a bunch of horses but don't remember hitting my head. I worked in manufacturing, surgical tables and lights, and orthopedic implants. Titanium foundries, nonferrous foundries, machining, degreasing, chrome plating, and a bunch of other manufacturing. Exposure to DDT growing up in Hawaii were in the 50s and early 60s it was sprayed to combat mosquitoes. I used to run through the fog.Was teaching resistance training and challenge level water aerobics when diagnosed. I turned out to be positive for C9ORF72 But am the first in the family with that genetic mutation. Heritages Scots, Irish, and Viking. I tend to agree that is a group of diseases and causes that end up the same place.

>Exposure to DDT growing up in Hawaii were in the 50s and early 60s it was sprayed to combat mosquitoes. I used to run through the fog.

:)

>Heritages Scots, Irish, and Viking

me to ... maybe a trend ....

Was a bricklayer before lumbar fusion in 2012. Before I was pretty active,...was a victim of an over zealous dentist..every tobacco stain was drilled and filled, still don't know if it was nine or eleven fillings I left there with...and may of tried to end things when I was young with slug pellets..

I spent my entire career in high tech, mostly in executive management. I loved it and always pushed hard (sometimes really, really hard). I don't think that had anything to do with my current condition. My wife disagrees with me on that, though:)

I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in forestry, with an emphasis on mathematics and statistics. During my forestry studies I worked pretty benign field jobs in the summers and during school. I was on a forest fire crew, marked timber (with paint for harvesting), inventoried forests, installed erosion control devices, and planted seedlings. I enjoyed all of it except marking timber, which is mind numbingly boring.

Before that, I mowed lawns and was a paper boy, lifeguard, swimming instructor, and archery range director.

I have lived an active and adventurous life with hobbies of climbing, mountaineering, hiking, backpacking, skiing, biking, canoeing, photography, etc. along the way.

I have had numerous injuries over the years, one of which potentially contributed to my current condition. In 1982 I had a rock climbing accident resulting in serious head trauma. It was almost 2 years before I could return to work full time.

Steve

Elementary school teacher. I was under much stress the last years and particularly around the time of my diagnosis. I've always felt my immune system was not strong, since I've struggled all my life with enduring colds, flues, and pneumonia. I had a head trauma as a teenager, which resulted in unrelenting insomnia over many years of my life. In later years my husband and I adopted two children from an orphanage overseas, and it turned out to be much more challenging than we ever imagined. So I wonder if the stress and weakened immune system played a part. My father had epilepsy, and I understand there may be a genetic connection. I always have pushed myself, and I worked full-time up until my diagnosis. I've found it interesting reading everyone's posts on their job histories.
Charlene

I agree Charlene, it's interesting reading. There seems to be a universal link of stress and pushing to the max for ALS. I'm sure all neurologists will say "coincidence" but...?

J x

My PALS was a RN.

I work as a college professor. THREE other professors at my school died from ALS. We only have 300 teachers. We have had "sick building syndrome" in some of our buildings.

I had a very bad head trauma a couple of years ago. When I was growing up all the adults in my house smoked, non-stop and I became chemically sensitive. I've also lived on a golf course for the past 20+ years where there is a high use of pesticides.

I've always been normal to low weight, athletic (but not extreme), ate healthy (organic for the past 5 years). I've been stressed out and anxious most of my life. Very Type A. Workaholic.

Two of the other teachers who died from ALS were very athletic and worked out a lot (one was a woman.) The other was in a wheelchair from an injury and I don't know his history.

USAF for 23 great years; personnel management plus a brief stint in the intercontinental missile business. Thanks for your comments, Nikki ! ! !

I agree Charlene, it's interesting reading. There seems to be a universal link of stress and pushing to the max for ALS. I'm sure all neurologists will say "coincidence" but...?

J x
Also, many of our generation were around DDT mosquito spray~ no one told any of us kids "DON'T DO THAT!"

Those bugs will leave me alone, now.....:rolleyes:

30 years in the Navy. Most of it stationed on ships. Also a big gym rat and runner

>brief stint in the intercontinental missile business

dr strangelove? :)

I must observe, based on our tiny sample size, that the military is highly over-represented here. Less than 1% of the American population has served; but on this site, we are numerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back