Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
in
City
owensville
I worked at a power plant had a coworker died from Als a year ago. My therapist said she has 4 people with als who worked at Alcoa power plant / aluminum plant. Is this a coincidence or something else.

I sold surveying equipment and was on the road most of the time.

There is a general feeling that ALS has a collection of causes and may even be a collection of diseases. In my case I believe that it had to do with poor nutrition and over excersizing leading to excessive build ups of lactic acid which some researchers believe is why endurance athletes have a higher than normal incidence of this disease..

My PALS was a doctor in family practice. Probably "caught" the disease in Germany while in the Air Force.

My PALS was in the Army Reserves and was a government employee who served two tours in Iraq in 2008/2010. He did grow up about 2 miles from an ALCOA plant and his mother worked there.

My Chris grew up in Melbourne and was a house painter for around 10 years.
He then moved up to the far north coast of NSW where he ran his own restaurants or cafes.

He was not athletic, but was very active.

No military service.

Worked as an Electrical Engineer for 30 years. Very athletic in school and college!

same at above. I also dont think there is one als, but a variety of causes that lead to the same fatal outcome. I think genetics plys much more of a role than the 10% you see in statistics. there are [robable genes that when exposed to certain environmental factors are responsible for turning on the disease. Thats why I dont think there will be one cure.
My guess is that als "medicines" in 20 years will be where cancer ones are now.

I worked for 30 years building artificial limbs. Painted on the side for years. Lots of exposure to nasty chemicals.
Vincent

My husband was in the U.S. Air Force for 20 years, in aircraft maintenance. After he retired from that he worked in a similar job as a civil service employee for seventeen years until he had to retire again for obvious health reasons.

My friend Greg who recently died of ALS worked at sea or for surveyors (that's where I met him) all across Australia. Super fit bloke.
J x

Most, but not all, of my jobs were in offices.

G'day canmark...me too, and a library. I don't have ALS however.

Interesting though, I just read on another thread how a PALS used to push himself...that seems to be very common?

J x

computers/hp servers, lived in saudi, switzerland, uk, germany, japan, usa, exposed to dog and Sandy particulates for 37 years, some drool, too ...

I worked in education with young children. I did have a lot of stress when my first husband left, and when my second husband died very unexpectedly. But, I was never an athlete or worked around hazardous materials.

Childhood head injury, was very athletic and played a very competetive contact sport for 8 years till just this past year. I was a jeweller and artist- ironically enough, my grad paper at art school was on exposure to toxins in the studio and safety protocols to mitigate long term health effects- which in the jewellery arts and fine arts there are many due to high levels of heavy metals for pigment, solvents, metal fumes and chemicals for fine metal smithing. I was also a bike courier for many years with exposure to almost constant high stress and auto fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back