When to go on disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007 was my last day of work.

I'm still adjusting to retirement - but the absence of work stress has made a huge difference = as though a great weight has been lifter.

Best of luck to you all

jjarthur2001 said:
My husband was diagnosed on March 9 2006 with ALS. His progression is very slow. He walks without assistance and is mostly affected on the left side of his body so far. (Basically his left pointer finger and some in his left leg) Sean worked as a manager is a financial services firm in Chicago until he was diagnosed in March. He has been on leave of absence since then. We made the decision to move back to Kansas to be closer to family. Sean would like to still work for the same company, but in a different capacity. Previously, he was in sales and worked a lot of hours. Now, he has inquired into being able to work from his home in another role. This is a fortune 300 company and Sean was well on his way to being a successful executive within the company. Sean still feels that he can be of value to the company, but in a different capacity. What rights does my husband have? Can the company just cut him lose because of his new disability or should they have to accomodate Sean? If anyone has any advice on who to ask or where to find resources on this topic I would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks

Jenni Younger

Chanute, KS

Hi Jenni -

You can google the "Americans with Disabilites Act" for specific infomation about the provisions of that law that apply to workplace accommodations. Good luck. :)

Liz

can someone spell out the whole Social Security process

Doctor at ALS clinic gave me a diagnosis of "probable" ALS. I think this means 2 areas are involved. Although "probable", it's definite enough that I can be in a clinical drug trial they're running. So is this enough to qualify for SS Disability?

I don't know if I want to quit working just yet because it will create financial problems and my health insurance is through my employment, but in my job I do a lot of speaking to outside customers and give presentations and speech is becoming difficult (sometimes downright embarrasing) and typing is becoming hard too. I don't know how accomodating my boss, the co. owner, will be; he has never come across as very compassionate. Also the disability insurance I have doesn't kick in unless hospitalized for 72 hours first. How likely is that to happen? Do most people with ALS have to be hospitalized while they're still able to function in a work environment?

So if someone could give tips on navigating the SS disability system it would be appreciated. Do I have to quit work before I apply? Will I likely be approved with this "probable" diagnosis?

Thanks to all.

Hi ilgal. About halfway down the page of this link is some Social Security information. Hope it helps.
AL.

(link no longer working)

Last edited by a moderator:
a great resource

Thank you for pointing me to that great resource, not just for SS info but other things too.

I was diagnosed in May with a "probable ALS" diagnosis. I worked the last 3 months from a powered wheelchair, because it wore me out so to use a walker in the office. I "retired" officially on the last day of July, and the last visit to the neuro was August 27th. They firmed up my diagnosis as "definite ALS". I am out on company sick leave until the end of October, at which time I will start on company's Long Term Disability insurance. At the first part of November I'll go to the SS office and apply for SSDI and Medicare. I understand that ALS is termed a TERI (terminal) condition, and the SSDI will be "fast-tracked" through the system. From another thread on here, I read that ALS is considered a "presumptive diagnosis" and benefits from SSDI may come rolling in almost immediately.

What prompted me to lay work aside when I did was the need to conserve energy. I did work a desk job, but was kind of stressful at times, and I certainly feel better now without the stress. So, bail out when the energy needed to get up, get ready for work, traffic, just seems to be getting too much, and if you come home at night now, and fall asleep in your easy chair BEFORE supper, then it's time to call it quits.

I agree, it's a personal decision weighing all the factors, stress, progression, finances and being able to spend quality time with those you love.

On the finance side, I do not have retirement and I am currently on TDI from my work. I found out through the application process that the RED tape is everywhere and makes things difficult. I went to part-time and applied for SSI thinking I could work PT during the SSI waiting period only to find out that I was making too much part time (you can't make more than $680 a month). TDI does not count as income so my 5 month waiting period didn't begin until I stopped working and went on TDI. TDI only pays about 50 percent of your normal wages so it's barely enough to get by.

My TDI company then notified me that once I start getting SSI they will no longer pay me TDI. They get you anyway they can!

Mahea

My husband was on disability only one year and then passed away. I wished he had gone on disability when he was diagnosed, as that was offered to him.

When he received disability, the disability was about $200 more than he was bringing home in his paycheck.

If you can do it, apply and enjoy the life you have while you can.

I have no regrets but wished I had my George home longer than I did.

Patty

I like what Joel had to say about stress and doing what you can to avoid it. Jobs that are stressful and physical in nature are likely to do more harm than good.

My job is somewhat physical and I've struggled at times. One neurologist has suggested I may have to find another field of work. I love what I do and at 53, I feel like the old dog being forced to learn a new trick.

If you are in a stressful job, I'd recommend leaving it for something less stressful (if you have to work at all). I'd hate to think that my job is taking a few precious years off of my life or that it is rapidly changing my quality of life for the worse.

Zaphoon

It's very possible Zaph that quitting working altogether may slow down your progression. I was choking on liquids much more when I was working. Still in a state of limbo however about LTD and such. Still getting full pay, using up my sick leave. I can only play so much World of Warcraft. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back