Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
St. Charles
Hi, I think this is the second time I have posted and am not quite sure I am putting this question in the right spot. :)

My dad was diagnosed with ALS in September '08 and his disease is progressing very rapidly as I have stated before.

Today he told my brother that his walking days were over. He has a wheelchair that the ALS/MDA lent him, but my brother was lifting it in and out of the car today for my mom and doesn't think she will be able to get the wheelchair in and out very easily. Is there a brand or style or specific type I should look at that would be comfortable, and lightweight? They live in a ranch, but some of the hallways and doorways will make manuvering a wheelchair a little tricky, so it needs to be more narrow vs. wide if that makes since.

If any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Have a great day! :)
K

Kari, I can't answer your question, but am bumping your post up in hopes others will see it. good luck to you and your family.

If the progression is fast I would recommend you plan for a powerchair and start looking for a wheelchair accessible vehicle. A manual chair will likely be short term solution.

Kari,

Your parents might want to consider looking at a minivan equipped with a wheelchair ramp. Used ones are a good option and are much cheaper than new. They make a world of difference in the ease of getting about. They will accommodate any wheelchair.

John

Thank you all for your advise. My mom doesn't like to talk about wheelchairs or things that my dad might need in the future. My brother and I are trying to do what is best and try to do the research for them so they might not be so overwhelmed when decisions need to be made. Thanks again for your help.

Have a great day!
K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back