Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Oakville
I just received a Quantum edge 2.0 wheelchair from the ALS society, is that a good, relielable wheelchair.

Is this your first power wheelchair? New or used? Is it a loaner or is it now yours to keep?

I have one that I use as my backup chair. So far it seems solid and reliable. It’s a very maneuverable little pwc that turns on a dime and has very precise speed control. I read some online reviews that were not favorable in terms of longevity and reliability. That hasn’t been my experience so far, but I’ve only put 270 miles on it. It takes a little practice getting used to the jerking behavior of the little caster wheels in the front, as they may seem to have a mind of their own. Mine is fairly easy to control, and I no longer consider this a problem. I’ve also seen it do “wheelies” when going up an incline that suddenly changes angles. After a while, you learn what speeds you need to drive at to control this. The bottom of my driveway makes a steep angle with the street, so I have to elevate the chair when I go over that so as not to bottom out. It’s a learning curve like anything else.

Hello Karen,thanks for your reply. This is a loner from the ALS society, mine as long as I want or until they get something better, it is my first PWC and it seems to be a new unit.

I like my Quantum Edge 2, tough I haven't used it very much. t has a horn, lights and stick-on reflectors. I had the Lift Seat added at our expense. Medicare paid for it, a cup holder and a tray. It has a horn, lights and stick-on reflectors.

JERKING MOVEMENT- At recent "clinic" visit I learned the JERKING can be adjusted so it doesn't do that. Mine will be adjusted in October when hospital bed is delivered. Check with your clinic staff! (It scares me and is difficult to control movement. Especially on ramps! It can cause you to lose control or go over the edge!) Be safe!!

Our driveway gutter is deep, too. We currently use a heavy-duty portable ramp. However, I called the city street dept to see if they can add cement. If they won't, we'll do it ourselves with either Asphalt cold patch and sealer, or quick-setting cement. There are rubber ramp options, also. Check online.

CHARGING- Be certain chair is kept charged, but don't keep it plugged in all the time. It's bad for the battery. Batteries, once dead, cannot be recharged. They need to be replaced. Your local Battery Store may have batteries . Our's does or can order them.

If not enough support for back, or chair seat makes butt hurt, there are "air pocket" seats and back supports that can help.

That's all I know to share. Hope this helps🌻. May blessings abound. B.:cool:

I'd really like one of the following: ;)
1568573476757.jpeg
1568573669852.gif

Thanks , much appreciated.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back