Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
ga
City
savannah
Can anyone recommend an electric wheelchair? I also have heard mix things on using a roll walker?

My wife got by for a while in a Jazzy scooter (she still uses it for short trips from room to room) but when ever she needs to be away from her recliner for any lenght of time she uses her Permobil M300. She seems very comfortable in it, and usually, when we are away from home overnight, she will sleep in it as well. In fact, last month we loaded ourselves in the van and drove for down to GA. for a short vacation (21 hrs each way) and she was just fine in it.

Patty was never able to use any type of walker, as her hands seemed to be among the first to go, she couldn't grip the walker, and when we tried the rolling walker with hand brakes, she was unable to make the walker stop. Now she is well past any kind of walking, and we just do straight tranfers (no pivot). Of course everyone is different, but I say if they can use a rolling walker safely, then let them do it as long as possible, but of course try to be proactive in getting a chair so it can be waiting in the wings when you need it.

Good luck
Gary

The wheelchairs for PALS cost between $20,000 and $35,000. A doctor will write a script, and Medicare will cover 80%. Usually you do not have a choices on what brand. Permobile is a good one. It costs extra to get one that elavates, but it us worth the extra money. Medicare covers only one chair every five years, so get the right one to begin with. Walkers or Rollators will work for a while, but once the arm strength goes, they are dangerous. You can do a search on here, just type Wheelchairs in the search box

Thats right! I ment to mention the seat elevator. Our ALS assn. recomended a local(ish) provider to us, and they really took care of EVERYTHING, They came out and measured her at our home, went through the list of every accesory she would need, now and in the future, and set up the appt with the correct dept. at Mayo for the Dr. to evaluate and write the 'script.

Thats right! I ment to mention the seat elevator. Our ALS association recommended a local(ish) provider to us, and they really took care of EVERYTHING, They came out and measured her at our home, went through the list of every accessory she would need, now and in the future, and set up the appointment with the correct dept. at Mayo for the doctor to evaluate and write the 'script.

I agree, get all the options there's no second chance!

I have a permobile 300 that was sized specifically for my extremely long legs. Everything was covered by insurance except the seat elevator, which I paid for myself. Between the private insurance to my husband's job and Medicare it was paid for. My provider said that this is my 1st chair and this is my last chair, since it is so modular and can progress with me as this disease progresses. Never tried a walker as this started in my hands, and I can still walk short distances. But I find using the chair around the house has reduced my fatigue tremendously. We have to stay ahead of this disease.

The rolling walkers with the seats are awesome in the meantime--as long has he has the hand/arm strength to use one safely. I loved mine when my hands worked well enough to keep me from slipping while using it.

The others gave great insight on wheelchairs! Order NOW before it's needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back