Wheelchair Vans - Opinions on Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it is coming with a vent tray but good idea for the ice chest as I hope I won't need the vent for a while but thought it was a good option.
AL.

Wheelchair van

We bought an older full size Ford Van with a Rincon Side lift / power side doors and lowered floor. Gail uses a Invacare Storm TDX5 which is very tall and long. It would fit into the side entry lowered floor minivans but was too long (foot to back wheel) to turn & position unless both the middle and passenger seats were removed.

Gail is nervous with the side lift as her feat sometimes dangle past the end of the lift tray and due to the height of the lift. We tried a rear entry minivan and she liked loading and unloading because the ramp height was very low to the ground. We thought we would be opposed to the rear entry because we didn't want Gail behind all the passengers but the middle seats are pushed as wide as possible so she really sits between the centre seats rather than behind them.

So my recommendation for a full size power chair is full sized, side entry, lowered floor; or rear entry minivan with a 10" dropped passageway. At least they both fit in a garage and carwash!

I actually took a leap of faith and got my van on ebay. A scary experience but worked out very well.

Tim

Vans ...

We own the Chrysler mini van and like it enough for daily travel. The van has side entry and it also has a feature called kneeling which means the rear of the vehicle squats down so the travel up the ramp is minimal. I used to love to travel and get out and do everything I could. Something to consider before you spend $50,000. on a vehicle, just how much will you use it and once you can no longer talk,walk,eat and use your arms, will you really want to go out. After 5 years of this damn disease I find it to be quite a challenge for myself as well as the hell my poor wife must endure helping me in and out,locking down the chair and everything that goes along with it. If I had endless $$$ coming in I would have definitely purchased a full three quarter ton van with the side lift , not a ramp and get the automatic locking system. They only come with lowered floors because of the codes they are forced to adhere to. If you are patient you may get fortunate enough to find a used van for a good price. I got mine for $20,000. in excellent condition and only 11,000. miles on it. We found it through the ALS community.
Now wheelchairs are quite involved and depending on how you get along with your doctor he can write a script that will have medicare paying for the maximum. Tilt in space, chin control and leg lifts .I have both the Invacare TDX and a Permobil. I would chose the Permobil over any chair out there hands down. If you ask the pros. which chair is the top of I'll bet Permobil comes out as number one 9 out of 10 times. That's not to say the Invacare is junk it's just like comparing a BMW to a Cadillac.
I spend more time having work done to upkeep the Invacare and no maintainance on my Permobil. The best thing for you to do is try them out. I think you will find your doctor will be your biggest alli when it comes to all of the utilities you will eventually need.

Wow Tim! You bought your van on EBay? You've got a brass set on you, my friend! :-D
I'm glad it worked out for you!

Cheers!

$6,500 for a vehicle with a replacement value of $70,000 and it came from Baton Rouge LA so it has less rust on it than one Canadian winter.

If you can get by the styling it's great. If we ever break down there is enough real wood inside to keep a warm fire for 72 hours. We just give it a coat of varnish with every oil change.

Tim

Edmonton Vans

:smile:
Don’t forget that buying medical equipment (new) is tax deductible as a medical expense with a doctor’s note. I believe buying used is not, someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Hi Mike27! I also live in Edmonton and am not finding many handicap vans with ramps. Where do you suggest I look in Edmonton? Also, in regards to the van being tax deductible...how much of it was covered?

Thanks!

Sue:)

I'm getting an Invacare TDX 5 next week so I'll let you know how it is. AL.

i have that chair Al. must be an over stock item at Sunnybrook!:lol:
it is a great chair and i love the tilt. What is a venting option?
When they set up the speed, get them to give you a faster max. mine can keep up with outside walking, but no more! And i know it'll go faster!

our van is a Chrysler Town & Country and we are in the process of sending it to Braun. i opted for the side entry Companion. This conversion cuts behind the front seats and goes to the rear seat. lowered 10".
no fiddling with the front seat and it is cheaper!

we looked at a lot of vans and i really don't like the rear entry.
1. it looks like a wheelchair van with its butt way up in the air!
2. the whole back is dedicated wheelchair space; no room for stuff! Unless you are in!
3. road noise was higher and none of the latches looked closed!

just my humble opinion!
will post when we have the conversion all done, and let you know if I still like it! takes 4-6 weeks!
Good Thread

Shawn

A vent tray goes on the chair back to hold your vent or Bipap. It as around $1800 extra if I remwmber right. I didn't get it. Mine will do 7.5 mph in 4th speed.

AL.

Al In post #16 you thought the tray came with it. Did they make a mistake?

No, it was ordered with the tray and when I found out I would have to pay $1800 for it I said to heck with that. $1800 for a shelf with 2 brackets, painted black, not even gold plated? Screw them.

AL.

Tdiagnosed 5

Please make sure they order your chair with tie downs for the van. Ours was ordered without and it has been a big hassle. They say that this has to be with the initial order (which we did). Anyways, we have to use Q-straints which does not give the most secure lock down. Please learn from our mistakes. Did you get the elevate and recline feature? Has been most helpful to my hubby. Good Luck, Kelly

Question for Shawn on his new van.

...our van is a Chrysler Town & Country and we are in the process of sending it to Braun. i opted for the side entry Companion. This conversion cuts behind the front seats and goes to the rear seat. lowered 10".
no fiddling with the front seat and it is cheaper! ..will post when we have the conversion all done, and let you know if I still like it! takes 4-6 weeks!
Good Thread
Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Did you get your Braun conversion? If so how do you like it? What year was the van you had converted? I have a Braun Town and Country side-entry van too. It is a 1999 with about 130K miles on it so I'm starting to think about replacement. Like to hear your take on yours.

We purchased a 2005 Pontiac Montana..side entry automatic ramp van. The side entry was important because with small children I have to get them in and buckled before loading my husband. We also went with the Pontiac side entry because my hubby is extremely tall.,.,,and offered more head room for entry and passenger head space. Not sure if it is just our vehicle...but kind of a rough ride. Big mistake we made was not having tie downs on my husbands chair...live and learn. Having a van really makes life easier!

How much are people paying for used vans and where are you buying them? We've been quoted some prices that we think are exorbitant. With three kids set to go off to college in the next four years, it's hard for us to wrap our minds around the idea of paying $30,000 to $40,000 for a vehicle even though I'm pretty much housebound without. We're not crazy about our choices. :(

Liz,

I found my van in California 4 years ago on an Internet site selling disabled equipment.

I bought it privately from a quadriplegic who was upgrading to a Toyota Sienna. That would have been my choice too but at that time they were not cleared for import into Canada. The van was a 1999 Chrysler Town & Country lowered-floor Braun conversion rampvan with 45,000 miles on it. I had it shipped to Boston where I flew down from Newfoundland and took delivery and drove it home. It happened to come with hand controls which I didn't need at the time but now use daily. I am very pleased with it. It has a powered remote control driven ramp and side-door. My biggest problem was that it only had about 3 1/2" of clearance and I dragged it on curbs, driveways and snow. I solved the problem by buying big, 2" oversize SUV tires for it. I paid $15,000 US for it. I watched the site for several months before finding what I wanted and then jumped on the offering when it came along.

I wanted to buy a Toyota Sienna rampvan but they were not authorized for importation to Canada. It would still be my preferred choice but the Chrysler has been very satisfactory. I have 130,000 miles on it now and will likely replace it within the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back