Wheelchair van vs. a small trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your trailer idea worries me. Adding the expense of tarps and ramps you might be better off --after viewing niece's van to be sure it might work for you -- to set aside the funds for trailer, etc to handle repairs to van as needed.
Yes, there may be a point where he can't/doesn't want to leave the house but depending upon his chair he could recline in the van and neck supports can be improvised.

You're very wise to be thinking this thru.

Sherry

Goose, I just love the visual - pretty darn funny! I had not remembered that (B. Hillbillies) until your comment. As I said, I'm not ruling anything out. Nikki - I agree with you to some extent - the recline position in a w/c would definitely afford for the lower extremities to be positioned in a more comfortable position, to be sure. When the time comes, I will look into it, or even alterations to the van my niece has offered to us. Nikki, was your sister on a vent towards the end? At this point at least, my husband is saying "I've had a good life - no vent" (almost 69 yrs. old). We shall see .....

Re your niece's van, a lift isn't necessary if there is a ramp/room for you to drive him into it using the joystick (which can ultimately be mounted on the back for attendant control), and there is a list of tiedowns that meet RESNA/ISO crash test standards.

Grace, if your w/c weighs 400 lb, that only leaves 100 lb for you and whatever other equipment comes with you?

It is a big decision, and truly thinking it all through now is wisdom. You don't have to decide today, but you have time to really search for the best option you feel works in your situation. We can give lots of input, but you of course make the decision.

As you know, the problem is we don't know the rate of progression you will have in which areas, so planning ahead is always tricksy. For most things, I would think it is most economical to plan for the worst case, rather than something that works for only a little while if progression is fast.

A good pwc that is set up for a PALS with poor core and neck strength is usually very comfortable right the way through.

My Chris was rapid progression - he was gone 11 months after diagnosis. So anything we did was being revised pretty much on a weekly basis, even though he could still manage a standing transfer to his last week. However, the last time I put him in a car was to come home from hospital with pneumonia 4 weeks before he died. It was a 2 person job that day to get him in and out, and we both knew that he wasn't going to ride in a car again ... we never had a van, we could not afford one, especially since we did not have the time to get to use one.

Mike's Krissy was gone only 9 months after diagnosis but he did have a van and used it for a short time and gave her some great outings.

So there is no answer that fits everyone, but lots of great experiences you can weigh up as you choose your own strategies.

No Buckhorn my sister had no vent , not even daytime bipap. She died unexpectedly planning a several hundred mile trip for the holidays

Last edited:
Thank you all again for your input. Nikki, I hope I did not offend you by questioning whether your sister was on a vent; it was not my intent to upset you in any way! I am just trying to balance "living for today" and enjoying every day we are blessed with, along with trying to look at possible future needs and be prepared for them.

DreamsEnd, thank you for your input. I am starting to think along those lines as well - adapt the van that has been offered to us and start a fund (monies that would have been spent on a trailer, the licensing fees, a ramp, etc.) for the repairs to the van that undoubtedly will come. My biggest issue with using this van is that it is about 8 years old (guessing right now - I really need to learn more about it) and IF it is at all possible, we want to go to FL next Winter for 8 weeks - a drive that entails about 3,200 miles round trip from our locaton in PA to the Southwest Gulf Coast of FL. I am not feeling really great about the possibility of being stranded if the van breaks down...... I am really looking at too many what if's right now I guess. I am not a mellow person by nature, and am a real planner. Sometimes that is really good, sometimes I drive myself crazy!!

Laurie, thank you for your input as well. That is very useful information and I am tucking that one away!

Tillie - God bless you, I cannot even imagine the horror of an 11 month, fast decline like what you witnessed with Chris! I think it is bad enough watching my husband's strength and abilities fade away, but he is still a 36-37/40 on the ALSFRS rating scale by my assessment, but there is a definite, slow progression.......

Thank you all again. I am just trying to be prepared. My next visit to my niece's house I will need to take measurements, look at the odometer reading and overall condition of the van, etc., but I know I shouldn't look a gift-horse in the mouth, huh?

Not offended in the slightest by the question. Deeply offended that she was taken too soon leaving a 13 yo child motherless but that is certainly not your fault!
Hope the van works out for you

I struggled with the decision of what to get. I considered a trailer, among other options, and pretty quickly dismissed the idea for the reasons that have been posted here.

I was very surprised to find that my wheelchair would not fit in many vans. I encourage you to be sure your wheelchair will fit in the van before you commit to the van.

New and slightly used wheelchair minivans are stunningly expensive. After much thought and searching, I decided to get a full-size conversion van with a wheelchair lift.

I discovered that well-used full-size vans are available for much, much less than minivans. Mine cost $11,000, but needed a couple of thousand in work to make it safe and reliable (including adjusting the EZ Lock for securing the wheelchair).

Our conversion van has a raised roof so the floor does not need to be lowered. I think the fewer the modifications to the vehicle the less chance for problems. That was a major factor in getting the van we chose.

Our van has worked well for over 20,000 miles of use. I view it as an interim solution because when I am no longer able to transfer to the front seat I will be confined to riding with my head too high to see out the windows.

I refuse to live life with a view of roadside ditches (to paraphrase another forum member), so we intend to replace the van as I lose my ability to transfer.

We are seriously looking at wheelchair conversions for a pickup truck. This will allow me to see the mountains from our dirt roads, tow a trailer, and just feel better about what I am riding in:)

Good luck. I found that it was a tough decision but am pleased with the interim decision we made.

Steve

Wonder is leasing (or rental) is an option. MobilityWorks is the company we dealt with in Western PA for my dad. They were very nice to work with. If you are worried about breaking down, there is a company similar to AAA for handicap accessible vans. I don't have the name of that company with me, but maybe I can find it or MobilityWorks can give you that information.

Thanks for the info. Lorali. I checked out their website. It looks like the closest Mobilityworks to us is in Allentown, PA - about 1'40" away. That is not a problem, but the lowest rental rates are about $100/day, if you are renting monthly - ouch! There are some decent looking used vans for sale, but most of them <20K have 85,000 miles or way more. This is a GREAT resource though, and I thank you for passing it along. Duirng our next ALS clinic appt. (next week) I also will ask about any local rental companies.

Ouch is right. That's a shame. I hope they can hook you up with something at the clinic.

We had a Subaru Outback which was fine for my manual wheelchair. When I progressed to a motorized wheelchair, we installed a carrier held by the trailer hitch with 2 runners that dropped to form a ramp. We also had to install new shocks, struts and tires. It worked fine until I was unable to stand and pivot. I am small (100 lb) and my husband is a big guy but it was becoming more and more difficult to transfer.
We started looking at used wheelchair vans and found one perfect for us in Florida.
Now we are back to going out to dinner, etc. with no worries. It's so easy for me to drive in and out. Long trips are more tolerable since I can adjust the seat. Both of us are much happier!

Has anyone tried to rent a similar van in Europe?

We recently took delivery of a Braun modified Dodge Grand Caravan. The total sale price after a few discounts was 54K.

I also used mobility works in Pittsburg great people, Lin& Clint. We got a Braun conversion on a Dodge Grand Caravan 2014 paid $42,000
I like the rear drive up entry also manual clamp downs low mileage. We like it alot my PWC is a Frontier V 6 . Good luck! Chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back