Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a chance to look at the left-side drive mechanism today (motor, brake, shock, and associated cables and wires). There is absolutely nothing that could cause the grinding noise that is visible outside the motor assembly.

My conclusion is that it is either coming from inside the gearbox or the motor. In either case, it means either NuMotion will want to replace the entire assembly or I will have to pay to have them rebuilt (and take care of getting all the work done outside of NuMotion/insurance).

If I take care of it, it can probably be done in a few weeks. If NuMotion does it, it will take about 4 months.

While I am blessed to have a very capable backup wheelchair, I am beyond frustrated with the delays/hassles caused by insurance/DME providers.

I will work with NuMotion on this next week and let you know what I find out!

Steve

Here is the latest update, and probably the last one for awhile.

After the left side motor, shock, etc. were inspected, I went for a lengthy test ride today.

I barely got home.

The grinding started in earnest about half way through the drive. It became more persistent and the wheelchair became much more difficult to control. I had great difficulty getting it into the van and then out of the van, running into things as I did.

I managed to put a new hole in the wall as I was bringing the wheelchair into the house (have not done that in over a year;)).

The left motor/gearbox makes a grinding noise even at low speeds, especially when backing up. The chair lurches and stutters and goes in unpredictable (to me) directions.

I don't plan to drive the wheelchair as it is, except to get it to NuMotion where they can work their magic on it. I am convinced that at least the left motor/gearbox needs to be replaced. The right one might need to be replaced as well.

During the first part of the ride I was wondering which chair I would take to Yellowstone. Now I know I will leave my wonderful primary wheelchair in Colorado and go to Yellowstone with my backup wheelchair.

Having a capable backup wheelchair (a Permobil C500 Corpus 3G) is truly wonderful. While it is not as fast, does not have quite the range, and is not quite as comfortable as my primary wheelchair, it is more than sufficient to meet my current needs. I will surely enjoy driving it around Yellowstone.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back