Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Mass
City
Florence
Getting our van , will be in my PWC ( want to travel ) / my wife has to dress me and help in bathroom now . How do you do this at public rest stops ?
Or if no rest stop can be found ?

THANKS
BILL W

It did not take me long to get over worrying about going into the ladies room to assist my wife. I announce male caretaker assisting spouse on board and march in. I have taken her into the men's room a time or two but don't like to as the generally have open urinals. The nice thing about the ladies room is they have individual stalls so no exposure. There are places like Starbucks that generally have large individual restrooms that handle a PWC. Many ret areas have a family or assisted restroom. Look for it, many times you have to ask for it to be unlocked. You may want to invest in a portable urinal that you can use even in the car and save your wife's back and arms. That's the nice thing about being a guy as it is much easier for you to use.

You can use the family restroom. Single restroom usuallt moms with babies use but they are wheelchair accessible.

Also consider truck stops. We stopped at one and asked about a place I could help my husband and the attendent unlocked a wheel chair assessible shower area with toilet for us (without the shower charge).

We use the portable urinal in the van more and more. It really is the easiest for me.

In a pinch, we go in together. I also prefer to take him into the women's rr because of the open urinals if there is no family rr available.

We use the family restrooms whenever they are available, and they are at more and more places

My wife was my PALS.

When we couldn't find a family or handicapped restroom, I would simply and boldly accompany my wife and her PWC to the lady's room where I would lift her onto the toilet, clean her bottom, wash our hands and thank everybody for their understanding as we rolled out the door. Everybody seemed to understand.

Of course, you're probably thinking that you'd feel more comfortable in the men's room. But most travelers are men (truckers) and they're more likely to be either more vocal or even try to assist, which might be uncomfortable. So I'm thinking the lady's room might be more accepting. Let us know how it goes. --Mike

We used family restrooms some, but they were always logistically challenging. If you have a van, I would use a urinal whenever you can. We used the UriBag when out, and even in restrooms. Bring lots of premoistened wipes, mini trash bags that tie, etc.

I bought a female urinal which has a longer neck on it, and the back side of all Tim's pants or shorts are cut out giving me pretty good access to him while he is in his chair. He is a full quad and weighs around 200 lbs. so can only accommodate urinating on trips. I use family rooms and ladies rest rooms, but if one is not available I will use the van, or a discreet corner using the urinal. I then empty it on the side of the road, or in the tiny bathroom and clean and soak it when we get home. I always have wet wipes for my hands.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back