Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Fairfax
Now that the warm weather is here I am dreading my first summer in the power wheelchair -- specifically, having my back against that black vinyl/pleather/whatever it is seat back. It is very hot and humid in the summer here! Anyone have any solutions they like?

I ordered sheepskin covers which are made according to the measurement of your back and seat ( not YOUR back and seat; the chair's), and the wool is not hot--it wicks away moisture. Look up lawsonsheepskins dot com. Great mattress covers to prevent bedsores there, also, if you're interested.
Ann

What I hate worst is when being transferred my clothes stick to my bottom as tho I have wet myself - and I haven't , HONEST

WIll take a peek, Ann.THank you

Iris, that happens also when (if) you're in diapers, too. Life strips away all pretext of dignity. The best response is to laugh... and wear diapers with plastic covers so at least you don't "cling" to your seat....the plastic "there" means you can be slid around in bed. Phil sort of spins me into place, :)

Thanks for the link Ann!

Do they have sheep-skin toilet seats?

I can slide onto it, do my business, but then I am stuck. No, Wanda did not crazy glue the seat. I wonder if I leave skin behind when I peel my butt off.

Glen

taj~ I took Big Daddy to the dermatologist last summer for his back. It was rashy and broken out from sitting in the wheelchair. The dr. told us he had "truck driver back." She recommended PanOxyl soap. We prefer 10%. It really cleared his back up.

Glen, try vaseline, but don't try to get off fast.

YA RIGHT ...

I am wise to your pranks.

;)

Oh, I've been caught once again! On a serious note, Glen, paper liners might help. Being in a sling sort of makes that a non-issue for me. I'm lifted and airborne.

Mike's pwc is just a few weeks away from being delivered so thanks for this info. As Tajmom said, it is brutally humid here on the East Coast in the summer, so we may be needing a cover that allows air to flow through.

Judie, I so agree. If you go east to DE and then a straight shot south, that's my neck of the woods. Bottom line with heat and wheelchairs is that AC is the only good answer. Plastic causes dampness even in the wintertime. I hope Mike loves his new chair.
Ann

Glenn you are just showing off cos you can "do your business" when so many of us cannot:-(

I was wondering about the hot, sticky summer and the wheelchair thing. Thanks for the direction on the seat cover. I'll check out htat link.
mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back