Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
We had a clear day today, but it was very cold. I decided to go for a wheelchair ride on the bike path that goes to the top of Vail Pass. My intent was to go about half way. I did not make it quite that far. Apparently, pushing away the snow with my wheelchair caused it to overload and go into thermal shutdown. That was a bit scary, but it fire right up once I was pointed downhill again.

While it was sunny and beautiful, it was quite cold. It was 32 degrees (F) when I left and about 25 F when I made it back home.

I was dressed warmly, but was painfully cold for the last hour of the ride. I wore my old winter mountaineering down jacket and had chemical heating packs in my gloves and shoes. It was still pretty close to unbearable.

The day was absolutely glorious. I rode through about 4 to 6 inches of snow for most of the ride. The views were magnificent. There were not many people out and I did not wear a mask for the ride. I only saw 3 other people and they were all quite distant from me.

I snapped a few photos with my phone and thought I would share one of
20201111_142400.jpg
them with you.

Steve

I absolutely love this! thank you for sharing!

I took a video while out on the ride yesterday. Today, I got a chance to process that video so that I could share a link to it. Here it is.

The tracks you see on the left of the bike path were made by a deer. I saw all kinds of tracks on the ride, but mostly deer tracks.

Steve

Steve, You always cheer me up. Know that you are in my prayers.

This is fabulous Steve! Love the pic and the video, and really admire you for heading out on a stunning but frigid Rocky Mountain day. In 4-6 inches of snow...Wow!

Steve, great picture and video. I admire that you are so willing to get out there! I'm not that comfortable yet in the PWC, so you are an inspiration to me to get there. But, since I live in Bozeman Montana, and it's now winter, I better figure it out quickly - I love winter, I love snow, and the PWC is going to let me still enjoy it.

This is so winter wonderland beautiful Steve! I must say, though, that I started shivering just watching the video. As much as I would love to see that kind of snow again, I think I’ll continue to live vicariously through your postings.

Here in north Florida we’ve entered our perfect weather period, with bluebird skies and temps in the mid-70s during the day and low to mid-50’s at might. Probably not for those that love winter and snow, but outdoor activities are sure nice. Keep the pics and videos coming, brother. Best, Kevin

P.S. I just hate that you couldn’t get in a couple of trips with the motorhome. Such a nice coach, and I imagine you miss not going to Yellowstone.

Steve, thank you so very much!!!!! I love your videos the best, as it makes me feel like I am there with you. You really were snow plowing in that chair!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back