Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hello friends, well the time has come when I an no longer able to get around inside my house using the walker. I was moving from my bed to my recliner in the living room last night and as I was half way out of my bedroom my knees just let go and I was left hanging onto my walker and half collapsed. I moaned for help and Beth came to get me up again. Later I had to call for help to get off of the toilet, even with the 4" riser and grab bar I couldn't get up. I am a bit stronger this morning but still pretty wobbly so I'm thinking that I need to start using my power chair in the house now instead of the walker. Problem is, there is no way to get my rear wheel drive chair around the corner into my bedroom. When I requested the chair from the ALS society I asked for one that would be good outside on our acreage and on the gravel roads so I got this one but now that I have to use it indoors too it is not maneuverable enough. Will a center wheel drive chair be a lot better? How about front wheel drive?
I have arranged for evening help to get my late feed done and help me into bed and bipap on so that will be good now if I can get this wheelchair problem figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry, center wheel drive has the tightest turning radius. If they give you a choice of companies, I suggest asking for a Permobile. As you know, my Invacare has quality control problems. Everyone who has a Permobile seems to really like it. (and I did really hate my very bulky loaner Quantum 600).

I remember very well being exactly where you are, needing a full time indoor chair. My thinking is that once you get one, you will gain back some energy and once again be able to transfer for a while. You have to be really exhausted right now. Sending loads of empathy, dear Barry.
Hugs,
Ann

My Invacare TDX5 is 26 inches wide and with center drive will turn on a dime. My memory console burned out 1 night and that's the only real problem I've had.

AL.

You definitely want a mid wheel drive. I love my Quantum 600. Had nothing but problems with the Invacare. Permobiles are not available in my area so they were not a consideration. I used to take my Quantum 600 outside and into the garden without any problems.

Sorry about your progression! It takes awhile to adjust to what is happening to you!

Barry-
We're in similar straights, except I'm maybe 10 months ahead of you. A year ago, I was using my big ol' go-anywhere, rear-wheel-drive Permobil C350 to get around outside, but a walker sufficed indoors. Then my knees began to buckle. After a series of falls and a couple concussions, my stubborness gave out and I began using the C350 in our small ranch house.

The problem I have with my Permobil isn't turning radius - my chair is zero-turn - it's the length of the thing. The distance from the tip of my size 13 shoes to the back of the safety wheels is nearly 5'. Even in most public accessible restrooms, I have to put my foot/leg rests up and in to make turns and enter stalls. In my house, with a narrow hall and small doorways, I'm stuck.

To be sure, I have big feet :-? and a big chair to fit my 6'4" frame. The front-wheel drives I've tried are easier to maneuver into doorways and such, but the length is still the issue for me. My solution is going to require selective remodeling to include 36" doors.

Perhaps you don't require as big a chair and the little extra maneuverability of a front wheel drive will be enough. Meanwhile, my experience has been exactly as Ann suggested; switching from a walker to the chair allowed me to conserve energy, which made my transfers a bit easier and safer. Perhaps you'll experience will be similar. Hope so!

God bless,

As an aside, Barry, do you have a "Gait belt" which Beth could use in an emergency? That kept Phil's sciatica from going crazy when I was still trying but failing to transfer myself.

Thanks everyone, I have an email to the ALS society and my local OT to decide what to do. I am not opposed to modifying doorways and rearranging my bedroom to fit this chair but I know that will take forever to get done. My chair is about 51 inches from my toes to the rear casters and it will almost go if I'm really careful but not quite. This chair is great outside but is not that great inside, I am willing to give up some outside functionality for inside usefulness especially in Canada where there is 8 months of snow (where i'm stuck inside) and 4 months of poor sledding.
Ann I do have a belt thingy that I was sent, it is a wide belt with grab loops. I guess I should start wearing it.
Damn I hate this!

Barry, sorry to hear about your adventures with the walker. I thought you were using the chair inside already! Hope that you get the situation resolved quickly so you can get some energy back. I agree with you! I hate it too!

We are currently remodeling - widening doors and completely redoing th bathroom. The interior doors (solid wood doors with hand cut frames) took 3 days. They now need to be painted. We'll see how long the exterior door takes! My husband has a Permobile 500. It is a big, big chair. (He is a big, big man!) So far, we have not had trouble maneuvering it in accessible homes.

Barry-
If you just need an extra inch or two of door width to make it work, I'd suggest looking into "swing clear" or "offset" door hinges. There's many online vendors that offer them.

Our local Home Depot carries them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry, I didn't wear the gait belt. Phil just hooked me up in it when I needed rescuing.

Barry......this transition is brutal for sure. But know that you will feel independence again once you are in the chair. Even as I write this...I know it does not sound right...
What I mean is that when Andrew was falling,, it was a really scary time...and once he emotionally transitioned into the chair ..he was safer..and happier. Stay tough Barry! Think of you often!

Like Ann, my husband only wears the belt when he is being tranferred. In fact, it is the first thing he wants removed once the transfer is complete! He wears neoprene braces with bones in them to stabalize his knees.

I'm so glad I don't have to wear the belt all the time! I was having a hard time seeing myself doing a "Sylvester Stallone in Cliffhanger" impression with the macho climbing harness look.

i can just see that now barry , we would start to having to call you tarzan lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back