Wheelchair issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJT, my spouse is not good at planning. He has other qualities.

Thanks all.

Here are a couple of things to consider when using an attendant joystick.

First, be sure to keep your body in a position so that the wheelchair cannot accidentally roll over your feet! And, wear sturdy shoes.

Second, driving with an attendant control can be done very proficiently, but is a sill that must be learned.

Third, most wheelchairs have modes that allow the sensitivity of the joystick to be reduced. I know this is available on Permobils. Each of mine has modes that will make the wheelchair go very slow, which effectively reduces the sensitivity of the joystick.

It is also worth pointing out that the location of the attendant control can make a difference. Be sure it is set up so that it is comfortable and safe to use with your dominant hand.

Steve

Yes good point from Steve - always keep your feet away from that chair they weigh a LOT

My wife prefers to use the Quickie SR 45 Tilt' n' Space manual chair I picked up used for Dr trips instead of the pwc

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 42
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    649.1 KB · Views: 51
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 43
Jimi do you add a ROHO to that seat, it doesn't look like it would be good for too long?

Yes I use a roho. I can be comfortable for 5-6 hours. Can be moved into any position for pressure relief for even more time in the chair

I'm using the cheap roho mosaic air cushion and it is pretty comfortable. Pictures I grabbed don't show the cushion. Easy to hang the vent on the back

Last edited:
Tomswife, When my DH got a head controller, he had trouble getting in to our van. I used the attendant controls (his joystick moved to the back) to get in the van. After a lot of trial and error, I found it easiest to back him in to the van. I would walk up the ramp backwards while backing him in and then just pivot him to the front passenger position. Not sure if that works for everyone, but it worked for us. Your DME should be able to adjust the joystick to make it easier for you to use. But I do agree with the others, it take practice. And patience. Hang in there.

Thanks Jimi - that was my only thought. I thought that chair looks great, except the seat. We moved our Roho around onto nearly every surface!

Jimi, I was wondering how to go to the dr when I lose my mobility, IF I do not have a van.

I think I can use a wheel chair with the provided transportation, but I'm concerned that transportation won't take me out of town.

Must we get a van?

What about a little trailer and a ramp to transport a power chair?

The thing you showed pictures of, how do you get it into a car? Is it modular, that is, can someone do some disassembly?

That chair can fit in the back of an SUV. (The wheels pop off) But I am totally paralyzed so I can't easily transfer to the car. Insurance provides a limited number of transports in a wheelchair van to the Dr only. The service was not very good so if I can afford it I hire a service. They have been reliable. For local Dr trips it's about $150. Luckily I don't have to go very often. My wife is an ICU nurse and can change my trach tube no prob.. I can't afford to buy a van and I don't have the resources to get out much

Last edited:
Thanks, Jimi.

I wonder how people did their various transfers in the old days.

Also, I wonder how paralyzed people get from the van to the chair currently.

How do you type in the forum, Jimi? Speech to text? I'm afraid my voice is going to go at the same time as my ability to type.

Mupstate, you or your CALS drives the chair into the van, which has a rear or side ramp for this purpose. There is no transfer. And vice versa. The same is true if you are boarding a bus, train, or streetcar.

I have a trach and ventilator so I can't talk. I can still move my head a few inches so I use head tracking with the app Eva facial mouse pro to control my android phone. I have a lot of home automation that I can control from the phone to and it really helps

Jimi, How do you have your Android phone secured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back