Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Some friends and I want to plan an extended wheelchair-friendly vacation for some dear friends. The family consists of two teens, mom and dad diagnosed 5 years ago with ALS. The family would prefer not to travel too far so we’re looking in the Pacific Northwest (WA, OR, ID, BC). We’re finding it challenging to identify properties that are sufficiently wheelchair accessible, and would provide a safe sleeping option for dad (preferably a recliner). Any suggestions or recommendations about how we can create some amazing memories for this family would be so appreciated!

Are you looking for a single resort or hotel where they will stay the entire time? Do they have a van or what modes can they use for travel? What are his abilities, and what do they enjoy? If there is somewhere they want to see or return to, you can Google adaptive travel or accessible hotels and the name of the city. There are also travel agents that specialize in adaptive travel.

Best,
Laurie

VRBO is sometimes helpful I have learned that with some good filtering using Accessibilty as a part of the search I get some good resorts. I then follow up with the host to ask if they would share their door widths into BR and Bathroom. Most of the time they have been helpful.
We plan to always carry a portable ramp to take care of any steps that might exist. 1st level quarters does not mean a lot.
We just booked a great site at a VRBO in the Tetons for October where the host was a perfect example of helpfulness.
Generally the 360 view gives you a very good view of the layout for the navigation corridors.

I also have a VRBO planned next week in the Finger Lakes region of NY. Without the 360 tour we would have not known that my accessibility in my PWC would have worked.

Vacasa is another group that is generally a good source for resorting.

Hope this helps and you can find a means to travel with Dad. He probably deserves it. Thanks for your support of him in his journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back