Status
Not open for further replies.
Tilly! Hello from the West. I'm so glad to be chatting to others who have experienced the MND / ALS journey. Just as well my man and I are competitive , we're going to beat this beast of a disease. Most days we have a little win! I guess on the days when we aren't winning I may just jump online and get some extra coaching!,! Funny isn't it, that we spend our time playing sport and keeping active,just in case,& to " bank some credit for later years" & then we are challenged by this disease. We didn't see it coming! Cheers
Bev

Hi Aussie,
We are just getting to the stage where standing transfers are becoming risky and BJ is spending more time in his power wheelchair! BJ is now starting to wear sports shorts as they are baggy and stretchy and comfortable to wear, this makes it easy to use the bottle while sitting in chair or on recliner if to tired to get to to loo if just wanting a wee.
Jeans are becoming a problem as he can't undo his zip and has to wear a belt when wearing jeans and this all adds to the rush when the need arises and this is when accidents can happen,
Bj was diagnosed just a month after your man, would love to chat any time if you would like to catch up.
Love Gem
Hello , yes we are close. Probably 2.5 hours away. We love Bridgetown. Sorry to hear that your man has this disease. We have had a lot of help from the MNDAWA . I even went to a series of helpful workshops but now it is more difficult to travel to Perth, so I thought that I would be able to find some company online!
We are now experiencing difficulty transferring from bed to chair to shower etc. my man's breathing is compromised too.i feel as we are on a rapid journey,however,our neurologist said only last week,that the progression is average, but we have a rapid disease.Reassuring, I don't think!! Even though we are on this journey, we still wake up every day with hope. We live on a beautiful property with an amazing community around us. Two of our boys have returned to our farm to live with us.it is positive to be surrounded by youth. Plenty of laughs and my husband just loves passing on the many tips that he has about farming.i don't know if they always listen though!!!
So glad to connect with you. Cheers, Bev

I took a few pictures, hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpg
    IMG_2638.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 628
  • IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 932
Paulette - Thanks for the pictures, very helpful. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Patrick

Found these two websites today found them helpful so i thought i would share
Practical advice on daily living equipment - Living made easy
Fashion Freaks | ditt provrum på nätet

Hope it gets posted the sites arnt selling anything but donr know the exact rules

<Sorry, commercial links are not allowed. --Mod>

Wow! The two of us couldn't have chosen more opposite directions on the getting dressed business! But the choice is up to the individual.

I am up and fully dressed every day! I wear open back pants and no underpants for easy toileting and dressing, and easy to put on knit tops. It sounds like the main difference is that I wear pants so I am not sure I am that much more work to dress. Probably the most difficult part is getting my antiembolism hose on but unless I want to live in bed, they aren't optional.

My husband works a few hours two or three days a week and since we cannot afford paid care, I go with him. We pick up our granddaughter after school twice a week. But even on stay at home days, I want to be ready to go out at a moments notice and to look ordinary if someone stops in. If I don't get dressed I look like I am sick even though I am not. I am "just" disabled. In my pajamas, I feel my ALS and it's limits. If I dress normally, I feel normal and we live a more normal life.

I admire trying to make things easier for caregivers but getting dressed is necessary for me. I have, however, excused my husband from trying to put mascara on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back