Diagnosis
06/2016
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Victoria
Well, I have discovered that the extra fat on my butt does not, in fact, make as good a cushion as I would expect!

My career as a chef had me on my feet all the time, and I am really feeling the pain of being confined to a chair. I've changed cushions several times (currently using a ROHO which I like best), do ROM exercises to help with sciatica, and use the tilt feature to take the weight of my bottom when possible.

But, this persistent low-grade ache is really bothersome. It's not my sciatic pain, but an all over butt ache that sometimes lasts an hour or more even after I'm out of the chair.

Would love to hear any suggestions!

Pain in the butt,
Liz

The Roho may be over-pressurized. You might try letting a little air out. You should sit in it, not on it. If you try this, have someone check your butt for red spots to ensure you don't go too far the other way.

The roho is really the best off the shelf cushion available, if adjusted correctly. The next step in pressure control is a wheelchair with tilt/recline to reposition you every 20 minutes or so. My OT recommended that I tilt completely back 1st then return to a slight tilt. Going all the way back allows you to fall back into the seat where you are supposed to be.
Vincent

Vincent, Liz did mention using tilt already, but certainly always worth double-checking to make sure it's being used in a varied way throughout the day. Also, recline should be used to open up the seating angle to the extent needed, though not so much that the PALS slips.

Thanks to you both; yes, I have been sitting IN the ROHO, not on, my OT was on top of that! My CALS checks me out for wear and tear nightly (just like newlyweds again ;) ).
I do indeed use tilt almost to the point it's as though I'm in a very slow rocker most days.
And I am expecting a new chair this week that allows for recline, which I certainly expect to make a difference.

I wonder would sheepskin pad make a difference?

Sheepskin didn't help us.

There were a few times when I had to race home, while Krissy sat in agony, wishing we could get home faster. We used lots of sheepskin surrounding her feet, Roho cushion for her bottom. The only thing we could do was get home and lay down to spread her weight elsewhere. I hope someone comes up with a better answer.

Are you ensuring that your ROHO is always on the correct setting, for some reason mine has a tendency (still have not been able to figure out how it happens) to get switched to the red setting, can't remember what that is for. The green setting is what works for me. When it is accidentally set to red, I'm not aware of it until I began to get sore. Once it is reset to green, I get better after a day or two. The air pressure is hit and miss, we just fool around with it until we find out what pressure works best .

Don't know if this will help, just sharing my experience.

Good luck and God bless,

Tom

Interesting and important fact nobody knows but me and the weatherman:

When the ambient air pressure changes, so does the firmness of the ROHO. Air pressure changes during the day, especially if there is rain. Your lungs don't notice it because they are open (through the throat) to the outside air. But a closed system, like a ROHO, will inflate and deflate just because the weatherman says the air pressure has changed.

Related: Ambient humidity also affects the amount of moisture you need, so your breathing system needs adjustment occasionally.

Good point Mike! Both of our vehicles have low pressure monitors for the tires. Since we have started to get some very chilly nights the "low pressure" symbols came on in both vehicles. Neither had lost much air, but I guess the system had adjusted to higher pressures from the heat? So heat & cold must have an effect on closed systems as well.

Sorry Liz, I don't have any advice other than the good advice you were already given. (I did get a smile out of your "newlyweds" comment tho!!)

I too had butt pain that wouldn't go away. I just got a new chair two weeks ago with the tilt and recline and it has made a huge difference !

Hopeful, I just got my new chair that has both tilt AND recline, and I finally have relief. I didn't think the recline would make that much of a difference but it does. I also now have anterior tilt, so can lean forward, as well as a few other settings that I can use to lie almost prone, stand nearly upright, and stretch my legs. This has allowed me to be fidgety which has relieved the pain, so far.

Thanks to everyone who answered. xo

Don't know if this will help ya it did me.
I had bad butt soreness ,maybe sicatica maybe hip ?? I use Royo but before I could get benifits from good cushion I had to do something physical down there. A good dr friend into manipulation worked on me maybe three four times to git things back in alignment and when that was accomplished the Royo seemed to do the job.
Good luck good postThanks

Liz, I am glad you are getting some relief!!

Hi Toms, when the Royo is in the red setting it allows the air to transfer into the four compartments, depending how your sitting on the cushion, sometimes my Bj will need to lean forward and we put the slide onto the red to allow the air to move to the two back compartments then slide it back to green, this will the stop the air transferring into the other compartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back