Wheelchair Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly recommend the elevation feature. We got it through Gleason and it was really worth the application, which was not too hard at all. You’ll find that it comes in handy all the time.

MUPSTATE, on my PALS Permobile power chair, Team Gleason DID cover the cost of a lift function. There are several things they will cover. My best to you and others here

I had my assessment yesterday. The mobility representative said they go through the Gleason Foundation alot. I had already been in contact with Gleason and did the paperwork. So once insurance denies the seat elevation they'll be in contact with the representative from the Gleason Foundation.

I’m updating per a request from Tomswife:
We bought the Karman Ergo Flight wheelchair. It’s amazingly light. We haven’t used it yet, but will soon.

ABSOLUTELY worth pursuing the lift feature. We had a Permobil chair. Gleason gave us a grant for the lift feature. It helps with so many nice little things. Head massage, being able to do nails, PHYSICAL THERAPY (really good for that), lots of small tasks and pleasantries where, if you had to bend over to do them, you'd get tired quickly. Definitely is, in my opinion, a great option.

I found the air hawk type chairs to be a little dangerous to control on slanting sidewalk especially at crosswalk . i weigh 150 and a sidewalk just dumped me out in traffic .

I would also make sure you get an attendant control. It is an option. Quantum includes it free for people with an ALS diagnosis. I was with the Permobil two this weekend and forgot to ask him about that.

The elevate feature is great. I get stopped at least twice a day when riding at altitude. Permobil is coming out with one that will go faster when elevated. Great addition!

Good luck and best wishes,
Doug

On the matrix does the back recline at all?

No, it doesn't.

I'm still waiting, since early February, for the Ability Medical Supply to come for service and battery change on my Permobil. When they found out I was eligible for another chair, they bombarded me with emails and calls. I told them until my Permobil is serviced, I wouldn't be committing to any provider as relates to a new chair.

I'm so glad I got the matrix. It came in a couple of days and has served me well. When I can no longer use it, I'll sell it. I seem to have pretty good core strength. I did put a ROHO cushion on it and some arm pads. The arm pads are great. My niece saw them so I ordered some for my brother. I recommend them to anyone who is using a transport chair, regular wheelchair or ultra light chair.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 12.38.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-08 at 12.38.48 PM.png
    621.4 KB · Views: 69
Landis02, when I could no longer safely use the Rollator, my local ALS Association loaned me a LiteRider Envy chair. It disassembled for transport and was excellent for getting out of the house and trips to the post office and the like. I found the maneuverability to be great with very good battery life. No seat recline but it does have some adjustments. For self-pay it is $1,700 on Amazon.

I've been using a loaner Majestic and I love it. I have to give it back soon. I have ordered the MaritSA Intelligent Lightweight Foldable Electric Wheelchair, Travel Size. 40 lbs. The Majestic is 65. Price for MaritSA: $900.

As we hoped, CMS approved the standing or lift function today which should give Team Gleason a break.

I haven't heard anything on the approval though Medicare was supposed to render their decision today.

Guess it won't be retroactive....we paid out of pocket 2 years ago, sure wish we could get that back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back