Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Does anyone have experience with wheelchair accessible taxi services? I use both a manual and power wheelchairs, and have just applied for the accessible public transit service in my area. The accessible public transit service can only be used in the region where I live (outside of Toronto), so to travel into Toronto would require a connection with the equivalent accessible public transit service in the city. But I would like to be able to go directly from my house to downtown and have others accompany me (which would not be allowable on the accessible public transit bus).

I’ve searched on the Internet and there do appear to be some taxi services that provide wheelchair accessible vans. Have people used these services in their own city? Does one sit on one’s own wheelchair (power or manual) or does one need to transfer to the van’s passenger seat? How many other people are able to travel in the van? Are these services easy/difficult to book? Are they more expensive than regular taxis? Any other things to be aware of?

I plan to call these taxi services and ask them similar questions, but I thought I’d ask here first to see if anyone had some first-hand experiences.

Hey! Were in Barrie and have used taxis here, the public reg buses both here and in Toronto, as well as our so called accessible transit. The wheelchair cabs here just have the back row of seats taken out w a ramp on the back. Super easy, comfy. Same price as reg taxi. We also take the go train all the time and it's a dream. Trains are accessible, big bathroom in car, staff super helpfull! Regular buses in t.o are accessible also actually though very packed. Drivers have been great though, they simply make everyone get out of our way:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back