Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
California
City
Fontana
Does anybody have any opinions about the various systems put on the mini vans for wheelchair access? Any thing you wish was different with what you have or any other recommendations. Also, any input on what brand of mini vans seems to work the best?

We had a Honda Odyssey with the Northstar conversion. Loved it. It took a little practice to learn to get the chair in correctly, but not too much.

We have the Honda Odyssey with the VMI in floor conversion and it worked fine with the Invacare Pronto wheel chair not so well with the Invacare TALS SR since the chair is so dang deep in the front and back. Scott runs into the sides of the interior when he is turning around. Depending on where I park, sometimes I have to help lift up the ramp to make sure it retracts correctly. Other then that, we LOVE the Honda - of course the bad mileage is a problem.

if you look at the bottom of this page there are threads to click on for info.

AL.

I've had the Braun entervan conversion of a Chrysler Town and Country for 7 years. I am about to buy a new van and have Braun convert it. The 1999 Chrysler has been excellent except for transmission troubles twice. I have 176,000 miles on it. I was thinking seriously about the new Honda and Toyota vans because of their reputation for better build quality. I looked at the Sienna and it was a nice van but it was too shallow behind the front seats. The Honda Odyssey was worse in some respects. The ramp is much narrower than on the Chrysler and it has a rubber sensor which is fragile and exposed on the edge of the door. I tore it with my scooter handle while going up the ramp. Once inside, because of the Honda suspension system, the lowered floor renovation is unable to lower a critical part of the floor near the two side doors. As a result you lose critical real estate for turning a wheelchair or, in my case loading scooters. I often take my outdoor scooter and indoor scooter, or a bike and a big scooter at the same time. There is no problem loading the two in the Chrysler. We tried it in the Honda and it is very difficult. The Sienna is out of the question. If you just have a small wheelchair and nothing else, the Japanese vans should be fine.

I would recommend the sideloader over the backloaders for convenience and safety in parking. As well, the wheelchair user is unable to drive or even sit with the other passengers.

Whatever van you get, it will improve your enjoyment of life immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back