PALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
NORWICH
Dear Friends:

I was wondering, what strategies are you using to fight (i.e. vitamens, exercise, therapies, medicines, alternatives?)....and what have you found to work well for you?

I can seem to get my "game plan" in action; so, if I had an idea of what others were doing, it might help.

Thanks Much!
Jen

I found that High B Vitamins give me energy I try to push myself alot and never give in to ALS and I am in alot of praya groups that are praying for me and i pray alot and here I am 8 years with ALS So something is working Pat

Jen - I have heard you shouldn't exercise since the muscles won't improve and you might wear them out. I have also heard that a positive mind-set and sense of humor is the best way to cope. And I have heard that getting assistive devices when you need them makes life a lot easier than trying to hold on to abilties that are diminishing. All of this makes sense to me but you may find other tips. Cindy

CindyM said:
Jen - I have heard you shouldn't exercise since the muscles won't improve and you might wear them out. I have also heard that a positive mind-set and sense of humor is the best way to cope. Cindy

I'm not quite sure that muscles "wear out" - there has been no proof that excessive exercise accelerates muscle atrophy. I would stick with moderate activity though and lots of stretching - and don't tire yourself out doing silly things which will later prevent you from doing the things you need to do. For example I spent the whole weekend picking up a winter's worth of doggie doo from our 3 beagles and could barely feed myself later on.

Cindy is right on about a positive mental attitude.

As for any other strategies or regimen's - anyone claiming that a particular regimen, supplement or strategy is making a perceptible difference in slowing the progression of ALS is either lying or self deluded.

Stephen Hawking has had ALS for over 30 years - and I am not aware of him taking any special supplements. He has just kept himself really busy.

Everyone is different - some people progress rapidly while others progress much more slowly.

So just try and keep your mind busy and laugh whenever you can. Do as much as you can while you still can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back