04/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
Having ALS and catching a cold.

What's worse than having ALS and a cold? Having ALS and a cold and impacted ear wax! I am miserable.............

Dear Pat,
I am sorry you're feeling awful..... the misery inflicted by the common cold should not be understated. However, I also think it will be fascinating to see what kind of answers you're going to get on this latest thread!

The cold is going to have to run its course... but you may have to have to get pro-active with the ear wax! Maybe try the over the counter wax dissolve solution and the little bulb type baster do-hickey. Something fun for your wife to help you with. ~ I've also heard to use the microwave to heat some salt in a sock and hold it on the ear... it could be an old wives tale, but then the older of the old wives didn't have microwaves.....

Here's a little artwork to cheer you :cool: (.Y.)

Ohhhhhhhhh! So sorry you are not feeling well. Colds are so miserable. Have you tried pouring a capful of hydrogen peroxide in your ear and then letting it drain out? You'll know if it's working if you hear it fizzing. Try & get lots of rest & feel better soon!

Linda, yes! thanks for bringing up the hydrogen peroxide. I couldn't think what it was. Mild warm moist heat to the ear before the peroxide can help it do its job.

Thanks you two, I've tried Peroxide 3-4 times and 2 candles. I see the GP this Friday..

I had a navy corpsman hydro-blast my ears once while on an aircraft carrier. I stuck the stupid earplugs in too far and compacted the wax that way. I couldn't hear a thing until the water unplugged me. Almost ruptured my eardrums in the process though.

You wouldn't happen to know any navy corpsman your way, would you?

Just a suggestion...

Zaphoon

Pdaddy...so sorry you are not well. But the impacted ear wax will 'not' resolve on its own. You may be able to loosen it a bit, but you will need to see an ear doctor to have to wax removed. How do I know? My hubby just went through this very dilemma. He was convinced, being a macho type guy....that no doc was needed!

When he finally went, after shaking his head for months like a horse to dislodge the wax, he had an infection that needed treatment.

Feel better soon!

Glad you are going to the Doc and hope you get some relief soon.

Echinacea tea helps me combat a cold if I start it early. I use loose tea in a mesh ball from the local staple and spice store. I sometimes throw in some eucalyptus leaves as well. I know I didn't spell either of those herbs correctly.

Hang in there!

Cindy

I had a navy corpsman hydro-blast my ears once while on an aircraft carrier. I stuck the stupid earplugs in too far and compacted the wax that way. I couldn't hear a thing until the water unplugged me. Almost ruptured my eardrums in the process though.

You wouldn't happen to know any navy corpsman your way, would you?

Just a suggestion...

Zaphoon

.... perhaps you have a power washer you use for the driveway or deck on your house? ....just another suggestion, I didn't want Zaphoon to be more helpful than me :cool:

seriously though, keep irrigating your ear canal, maybe even warm up the peroxide a little. Friday is a long way off if you're in that kind of pain.

Rose,

That was hilarious! I laughed my butt off! You're a peach!

Zaphoon

WHAT?

:mrgreen:

"You're a peach!" = an archaic but complimentary phrase I've heard quoted in a lot of older movies from the 30's and 40's. Kind of like "Gee, you're swell!"

(I really didn't need to clarify that, did I?)

Zaphoon

He means WHAT? I can't HEAR YOU!
PDaddy you are so funny! And while you're sick no less!

Oh, okay, I get it. Forgive me on that one, I'm a little slow on the draw.

Last edited:
Right-on TTSP, Z is even more literal than I. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back