Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CA
City
SF Bay Area
A question to, well, EVERYBODY...

I was wondering what was the best BiPap equipment out there? My Dad is currently trying to use the Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillows system with a small ResMed compressor... he went nasal pillows because full face masks are too claustrophobic for him and freak him out.

So, the nasal pillows part is fine, but I'm not so sure about the compressor/MACHINE part... he seems absolutely unable to get used to the equipment. Both my brothers tried it too just to see and ended up with headaches and nausea. The guys we got the equipment from said the flow is tuned as low as it can go.

So I just wonder if there's someway somehow some better equipment out there on the compressor/machine end.

Is there any BiPap out there that anyone had (gasp) a fairly EASY adapting to? :shock: Is there a 'kinder, gentler' compressor out there?

Any and all advice/thoughts on this are very welcome. If we can't find a BiPap machine he can get used to, it looks like he's going to have to get that electrostimulation implant procedure, and I'm not sure how great that is.

bipap

My husband is opposite. He started with nasal pillows system, Mirage Swift II, and complained of nose stuffing up.

Changed him to mask and added the breathe right strips. Also, went to primary doctor and got a script for an anxiety med at bedtime and took it last night and slept pretty good.

He cannot sleep with bipap as he feels cannot catch his breath when lying down. My poor dear. I feel so helpless at times. I rub his back and tell him to think about when he use to dive and all the beautiful fish etc. he would see. Now he has trouble in the shower when water is in his face, feels like he can't breath.

Oh God, hear us and give us a cure!

Patty

Hi Patty. Does he sleep on his side? That's the only way I can be comfortable.

I use a Respironics Synchrony Bipap. Worked great up until Fri but I got a replacement.
AL.

Bipap

Hi Al

He starts off on his back, with two pillows and he does end up falling off asleep on his side.

The anxiety meds (I break in half as they are scored) are really helping last few nights, thank God.

George has NEVER been anxious about anything but I know this must be scary for him.

Another thing that is weird; if he falls asleep sitting up watching tv, his mouth opens wide, NOT SNORING, and when first happened, I kept walking over to see if he was okay. I guess the fact that his diaphram muscle is not working properly, it must be an automatic reflex for breathing? As I said in other posts, his oxygen levels are great, just the muscles that push the oxygen are not working.

This support group has been a God send for me. Just talking to people that understand and relate is a blessing.

Patty

BiPap and DPS

Thanks for the responses so far... keep 'em coming, if anyone knows anything.

He's still slow to adjust to the BiPap, if this keeps up, we may end up going the electrostimulation/diaphragm pacing system (DPS) route. Anyone have any experience with that?

I think we discussed this procedure some time back. Try doing a search of previous threads...

Hi Uncertainty !

I spent 4 hours to day with the gal who came to set mom up with her Bibap today, she flew in from Vancouver rented a car and drove an hour to get here. She was awesome, been doing it for over 20 years I think she said. She had the the newest bipap out there, I got to try it too, they are weird, they blow your lungs up like a balloon, Mom did ok with the face mask. they had about 7 to try. The one the tech choose goes under the chin to help with mouth drop. But she is going to start with the up the nose (that was we were laughingly calling it) because she can still talk, and if she needs dad she can call him, Her arms are done so she cant pull it off. They are going to sent a chin strap.
I will get the name for it for you and you can research it, We get to use it for free but they retail for $7,000 She really liked it because the "expap ?" the out flow is 2 as compare to the older models that were 4. They we stating her on her "Ipap ?' the in flow at 8 and said once she gets use to it she will want to go up on the in. It had the built in humidifier.
She also got a cough assist, it looks like a clear football with a hose. You pump up the lungs manually , It gives them a good stretch and helps with blowing noses and coughing, but she said practice with it a couple of times a day to stretch her chest muscles and get rid of CO2. Mom loved it It felt like she could take a deep breath and the her speech would sound normal for a few minute.

I googled it and it looks almost identical to this but Moms has extra buttons, she said it was for hospital use, like with O2. And moms' is grey.

VPAP III BiPAP Machine

Yes it was the vpap st-a

Very controlable through out the progression.

Try google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back