What Ventilator to choose? anyone have idea/experience abt "Microtak 920 Resgate" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milton939

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
BD
State
Dhaka
City
Dhaka
What Ventilator to choose? anyone have idea/experience abt "Microtak 920 Resgate" ?

Hi,
My mom was diagnosed with ALS on Dec, 2015. Recently she fainted & doc's told us that she has type 2 respiratory failure. She has undergone tracheostomy. A Bipap device is attached with the tube.

She is fully conscious & oriented. Can recognize ppl & talk. All her limbs are 95% OK, except the lungs.

Now, doctors are suggesting to buy a ventilator, which would provide better support then Bipap. We are in search of a suitable ventilator within our reach. Philips Trilogy 100 costs BDT. 480,000 (USD 6000 approx ) & Resmed Astral 100 costs BDT. 50,000 (USD 6250 approx. )

Does anyone have idea/experience regarding "Microtak 920 Resgate" ventilator ? It is the cheapest offer we have BDT. 375,000 (USD 4688 approx ):?

4cdc0582bc1bcb21a9cce750b7b45f96.jpg

It has been manufactured by a company named KTK in Brazil, which I can't find any good review online. :-? That's why I request for your opinion.

Have a nice day

Milton,
Dhaka, Bangladesh

Re: What Ventilator to choose? anyone have idea/experience abt "Microtak 920 Resgate"

First, those prices are more than you need to pay for cash. Suggest you research refurbished/aftermarket sales/rentals -- sites to look at include Bemes Online and dotmed.

I do not know anything about Microtak, I'm sorry.

Re: What Ventilator to choose? anyone have idea/experience abt "Microtak 920 Resgate"

http://www.ventusers.org/edu/HomeVentGuide.pdf lists most brands of BiPAPs and vents and everything in between. It doesn't give prices but lists the features of each for comparison. It doesn't list the Microtak brand so I would be concerned that it is discontinued and any repairs or instruction or support would not be available.

Is it safe to use a BIPAP, after tracheotomy ? I mean, does it full fill the requirement ?
As tracheotomy is invasive ventilation, conceptually BIPAP can't be used, right?

I've been advised by 2 bio-medical engineers ( working for the BIPAP/Ventilator vendor) that, instead of multi-mode ventilator, BiPAP AVAPS can be used well in this case.

Thanks again for your help.

Some people do that. Key disadvantages are:
(1) Most "regular BiPAPs" would require connection to an external battery to leave the home; "ventilators" have an internal battery, sometimes two, so they can go 6-10 hrs before charging if/as needed depending on model and battery configuration
(2) If the machine is not connected to a battery, even as a backup, any mains power interruption or outage could cause the person to die due to CO2 buildup or lack of oxygen
(3) If the valve that air goes back out of gets clogged and it's not discovered immediately, the person could also die

I feel pretty confident you can get an Astral or Trilogy for less than half of what you posted so I would try for one of those -- worldwide support, well-understood and durable machines. And your mom could still get outside.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:

Laurie,
astral/ trilogy seller has a strong monopoly here. So they can charge almost anything they want.
That's why I'm considering other options, if suitable technically. Financial aspect is the constraint here.

Planning fr a portable battery. Already arranged a backup of main power line.

But you don't have to buy locally -- you can buy or rent online, no?

I would also consider that she will need someone beside her at all times, monitoring her very closely. On the other side, we have members like Diane H. (who is on a ventilator and commented on your first post) whose husband can be outside or nearby since she has a way to communicate with him in an emergency, which your mom could have also via a voice-activated switch and a head switch as a fail safe, for example.

We have a Trilogy and like it very much. It can be set to BiPap mode or ventilator mode. Tim uses it for sip and puff ventilation, as he can still make a seal on a mouth piece, but if he needs to take a nap, and doesn't want to get back into bed I switch it to Bipap mode and put his full face mask on.

Laurie,
Renting is not a easy option here, as these machines are kinda scarce.

My dad is a retired person, so he can be with her most of the time. My physiotherapy studying sister can also manage time fr her. And I'm planning to start a freelancing career to leave my banking career, n be aside her.

Diane H,
Thanks again for the link. It helped us a lot in choosing the ventilator. As we live in a place where very few doctors know about ventilators & similar devices, it was very useful. :grin:

http://www.ventusers.org/edu/HomeVentGuide.pdf lists most brands of BiPAPs and vents and everything in between. It doesn't give prices but lists the features of each for comparison. It doesn't list the Microtak brand so I would be concerned that it is discontinued and any repairs or instruction or support would not be available.

Laurie,
Renting is not a easy option here, as these machines are kinda scarce.

My dad is a retired person, so he can be with her most of the time. My physiotherapy studying sister can also manage time fr her. And I'm planning to start a freelancing career to leave my banking career, n be aside her.

I just want to say God bless you for being there for your mom. It sounds like you have a wonderful family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back