Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
I am still working full time and driving safely. My voice is about 99% normal, I can type OK and my emotional liability is now under control with the wonders of modern medicine. I commute about 50 miles each way (with 'normal' Los Angeles traffic) and the drive is starting to be hard on my arms which are now starting to atrophy. My question is, what is the best way, what are the right things to say to my employer about my ALS DX? I am still 100% productive and want to keep working as long as I can; we need my salary and insurance. My wife would like to attend a meeting at my office with me and my management to 'plead for mercy'. Is that a good idea? I would like to propose to my boss that I officially work at home (telecommute) 2 days a week. Our company does not have an official policy about telecommuting. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think it's a good idea to acquaint yourself with the ADA before you approach your employer to request accommodations. Local Centers for Independence can also be a good resource. People have reported wildly varying experiences dealing with their employers around issues related to ALS. A lot seems to depend on how enlightened the employer is.

Thanks Liz, that's a great suggestion, I shall dig into the ADA.

Can you tell me what you are taking for the emotional liability?
Thanks & god bless, Rich

Can you tell me what you are taking for the emotional liability?
Thanks & god bless, Rich

Sure, I'm taking Zoloft (dosage?) It's really helping, but fortunately, I can still get emotional!

Hello

In my work physical labor was a large part of my job. I was an assistant manager for a large retail company so lots of the harder stuff could be delegated. I hid my illness for over two years until I was so exhausted and my performance slipped. I wish I had said something sooner because my boss started treating me poorly and didnt let up even after I explained wat was truly going wrong, I have never been lazy in my life but I think that is how my weakness came across to her. I went through human resourses and they put me on leave with pay until they found a possition for me. Unfortunately the job they came up with was mind numbing and after 15 years with them was degrading in my mind. I only lasted a few months and am alot happier doing what I like to do. It didnt take long to get my diability going, I am financilly secure at the moment........Take care Rob

This is great information, thanks all.

Would it be good or bad to let HR know BEFORE I tell my boss?

Did all that

Become VERY familiar with all your co's disabilty policies

Americans with disabilities act

You can research on the internet on the above. My companies policy was resonable accomodations, They dont have to retrain you but offer suitable positions that you can perform. Do you work for a large company? if so they can usually absorb the costs of modifiying your job. Smaller companies have difficulties providing reasonable accomodations because of limited suitable possitions. I went to my employer first because it was her obligation to work with HR. There are so many legal ramifications as to how disabled persons are treated that most companies want people familiar with these issues making the decisions. If you are mistreated or disaplined because of your disability it is grounds for legal action...........Rob

Don't forget about your union, if you have one. Get their input first. Best Wishes, Peg

Thanks again everyone, I will dig into our employee manual and see what it says about ADA, there is no union, I work for a software company, so I would be considered management I guess. I know the VP of HR so that will help.

Beware

First get a note from your doctor stating your disability and talk with your doctor about what you can and cannot handle. They can terminate you if your conditions will cause an undue hardship on them, so find out if that would happen. If it does not they have to find an alternative postion or modify your current position thanks to the Americans with Disability Act. If they prove undue hardship and terminate you, you will be entitled to unemployment... Make sure you get everything in writing, they may be nice to your face but trying to get rid of you and covering there backs legally at the same time.

This is a great thread. I wonder if it helps to find out who your allies would be once you come clean with your DX. Some entities will support you because they have to - the tip to visit your Union was a great one. Others will find support in unlikely places. At my job, I've been told by several people that if I ever need accomodations I should start at the top, as our CEO has a reputation for being understanding and supportive.

Wow, these are all great suggestions. I will start with an Ex VP who is very supportive and I guy I trust. I am now getting a letter from my Loma Linda Dr. that I will have in my hand when I/we inform management about my ALS DX.

This is from our employee manual, the company name is obviously changed:

102.1 Equal Employment Opportunities for Qualified Individuals with Disabilities

ACME will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of otherwise qualified individuals with a disability who are applicants or employees, unless undue hardship to ACME would result. Applicants or employees seeking a reasonable accommodation should make their request in writing to the Human Resources Department.

My employer says they cannot ask you if they should accommodate you, as that is not treating you with dignity. But they cannot deny reasonable requests. It just has to come from the employee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back