Diagnosis
07/2008
Country
CA
State
Ont.
City
Hamilton
I would just like to know the best way to keep my hands working? The last couple of days I am finding my hands getting very stiff. My right hand is starting to feel cold with this. I am finding it hard to do anything. I can barely eat anymore my wrist well not turn and my food is falling off my spoon. I can not even pull my pants up after going to the bathroom. My feet are the same way, very cold and will not bend. What I was like to know is there anything I can do to change or in proof this?

I don't know of anything that is going to give you the results you are looking for.

The only thing you can do is range-of-motion exercises to keep them as limber as possible and learn to do things differently to compensate.

Sorry.

Hey bossman. Have you got a CCAC Case Manager? Get after her to get a Physio Therapist to work with you to do range of movement exercises. I get them 3 days a week. The Occupational therapist can make you a brace to help you hold a fork. I'm going to post some pics of forks and spoons my brother bent for me.

AL.

I will second what Joel has said. It is critical that you do range of motion exercises daily--and preferably two or three times a day. Nothing strenuous at all, but even people without ALS and who are on bed rest will develop wasting and atrophy unless they do or have someone else do passive range of motion exercises with all four limbs. While you are sitting and watching the TV, do a little series of exercises such as touching each finger to your thumb and do it for a count of ten the first time and then build up daily. Make a fist and hold it for five seconds and release for 5 seconds, put your hand out and spread your fingers wide for the count of five and relax for the count of five and then repeat this 10 times. Rest your hand and arm on the arm of a chair, make a fist, and while keeping your arm flat on the arm rest raise your fist up and repeat for 10 times. Move your ankles in circles while seated, lift your toes up and down 10 times.

And please keep your hands and feet warm--fleecy slippers for your feet. Maybe two heating pads on low to rest your hands on while you are sitting. Don't do your exercises when your hands and feet are cold as you could get spasms so warm them up first.

And where the heck is the physiotherapist that should be coming out to help you with these things? They can show you the exercises and get you some special equipment such as utensils that your food won't fall off of.

Call on some community nurses to help you out. I'm sure Al can advise about how to mobilize them as he lives in Ontario too. God bless you and I hope things improve.
Laurel

the physio therapist is going to train the nurse that comes in, every day things to keep me limber. The physio people come in, may be once a week. I don't know why I asked for more but this is all I get. It is so bad. My son had to feed me tonight at dinner. I cannot lift mine arm at all. My feet are swollen and I am looking for something like slippers with something on the bottom so I don't slide on a hardwood floors.

Hey bossman, You are entitled to 14 hours a week of homecare by a PSW through CCAC. You can apply to March of Dimes and Red Cross for more time. You could be eligible for 20 hours more per week from MOD. Your Case Manager should be helping you with this stuff. If you don't get anywhere there call the ALS Society of Ont. and they'll go to bat for you.

AL.

hey all... maybe this should go in the gadgets forum... but my brother is a personal trainer and he got my mum these little ball things... i think they come in threes, three different resistances... there might be cheaper things on the markey though. i'm not sure how much they cost. they might help keep hands supple, and also come with a little nifty finger-holder thing so they won't fall out of your hand and roll away.

oops -- sorry if this looks like an advertisement. i am in no way affiliated with HandMaster plus!

p.s. a little bit of further research shows that they retail for around £8 -- so maybe you can pick them up for $11/12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<obj...e" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I do work my hands and feet as much as I can but right now. It is not doing much. The weather. I know may have something to do with a lot of this. It has been raining a lot but still, there has to be something I can do. I would like something to keep my fingers straight, while I sleeping. Thanks for your info, I will keep track of this for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back