Diagnosis
03/2011
Country
US
State
MT
City
Missoula
I will be getting a feeding tube and I think all of meds is going to be in a coffee grinder but what to I do with pills such and vitamin e in gel caps? Do you just desolve them in water and feed thru tube?:idea:

We never tried any gels. Maybe someone else has. Anything crushable to fine powder or dissolvable in water and you're good to go. Can you get your vit e supplement in another form? That's what I did with a number of my pals meds which weren't very tube friendly. Good luck.

Some days when I am having too much trouble swallowing I will cut the tip off the E gel caps, squeeze it (oily substance) out onto some food and take it that way. Reckon you could do the same into the tube preparation.

I take a straight pin and jab the end, squeeze, let the capsule regain its shape, and squeeze again to get the rest of contents out. As my finger strength declines I realize this will soon be up to someone to do for me, but right now I handle all of this on my own.

Some supplements come in liquid form, and after you use up the ones you have, maybe replace with this type.

In the morning I pour two tablespoons of a whole food based multi-nutrient into my little measuring cup, put in a squirt of blueberry juice concentrate, a cap full of liquid msm, then I poke two fish oil capsules, squeeze on top, and stir with a little plastic fork.

We recently went away on a short vacation, and I measured out a few days worth, put it all into an empty ensure bottle. It was so easy to use that way, just shook it up each morning and poured it into the tube. (one day's worth = one full syringe of liquid, I had added enough water to make it come out even) If I'm dissolving any sort of powdered contents of a capsule into the mixture, I put that in and stir before I add the fish oil.

hope this helps you some 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back